7mm Rem Mag Barrel length

denphillips2

OK guys,
If you had a choice, how long would you have your barrel for a 7mm Rem Mag?

Going to be for long range hunting of course :D

I have one that is 26" and one that is 28". The 28" is definitely my favorite. It shoots the 168 grain matrix bullet at 3060fps and into one hole groups at 100 yards and not much bigger than that at 200 yards. The 28" barrel shoots about 60 fps faster than the 26" with the same load so my vote goes to the 28". But that might just be me.

Jason

OK guys,
If you had a choice, how long would you have your barrel for a 7mm Rem Mag?

Going to be for long range hunting of course :D

The 7 rem mag can use a long barrel. minimum should be 26" and for all the velocity available you need/can use 28" to 30"

I had a 7mm rem mag with a 29.4" barrel I was able to push a 168 gr SMK to 3254 ft/sec.

For hunting I would probably go with a 28" for all round use.

J E CUSTOM

That's what I wanted to here.
I am putting a very slightly used 284 barrel on this gun. Current barrel length is 32". Threads need to be cut off because it is going on a trued receiver. Just too sloppy for my liking. There is about 2" of straight .750 at the muzzle. I'll trim the muzzle back enough to put the brake on so it covers the straight section. It should end up about 29.5-30". Should be a sweet shooting rig.

Thanks!

OK,
How about throat? I am setting it up for 180gn Berger VLD.

Would the ideal seating length put the boatail/body junction at the shoulder neck junction?

There is plenty of room in the magazine.

I have a short throat reamer with a throating reamer to set the lenght.

Glued the bolt body bushings last nigh. Going to do the bolt today sometime and hopefully the barrel this evening.
Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.