7mm reloading

I don't shoot the Hornadys...But as for the Berger 168's, I would start them about 0.010" shorter than your internal magazine box length. Then adjust from there.

I have a Sendero, and recently placed a Brux Barrel on it. I originally set the 168 Bergers at 3.31 overall, but after reading the Berger article on seating depth, loaded them a bit longer at 3.41 COAL. This seems to be where it shoots best for me, in my rifle. At 3.44, I started to get some bolt resistance when closing bolt.

I got 300 of the 162 gr Hornady poly tipped bullets for 6.5 cents each in 2004.
I should have got more.

I have been shooting them at 3.34"

I test loaded some 168gr Bergers with 64.5gr of Reloader-22.OAL was 3.444.Grouped
good at 200yds.2980fps

i usually go 010 off for match rifles, 030 for hunting. at least to start. you do not say what you are shooting at.

I don't shoot the Hornadys...But as for the Berger 168's, I would start them about 0.010" shorter than your internal magazine box length. Then adjust from there.

If you do this in a bdl you will likey be jammed into your lands. You might not be able to eject a cartridge ( at least not the bullet and some of the powder). Your pressure may spike. Always find your lands and measure from there, you need to know if you are into them as there can be consequences. Once you know where your lands are, you can see if it fits in the mag, then adjust from there. Some rifles (Tikkas, Brownings, Weatherbys) your mag will be shorter than your seated distance to lands. The BDLs I have experience with will easily reach the lands before I reach Magazine length (Including a 7mag with 168 VLDs).

If you do this in a bdl you will likey be jammed into your lands. You might not be able to eject a cartridge ( at least not the bullet and some of the powder). Your pressure may spike. Always find your lands and measure from there, you need to know if you are into them as there can be consequences. Once you know where your lands are, you can see if it fits in the mag, then adjust from there. Some rifles (Tikkas, Brownings, Weatherbys) your mag will be shorter than your seated distance to lands. The BDLs I have experience with will easily reach the lands before I reach Magazine length (Including a 7mag with 168 VLDs).

Haven't tried a 7mm RM in a 700, but my 7mm STW is way past mag length before it touches the lands...Same with my .308 Win. Both BDL floorplate setups.

Weatherbys have freebore, you most likely won't be able to even touch the lands unless you have a rediculously long bullet, or the bullet is barely in the neck.

Browning A-Bolts have short magazines, so seating them just inside mag length is nowhere near the lands.

I have, and have had numerous 700's, Brownings, and a Weatherby, and all seem the magazine is alot shorter than the distance to the lands. Both short & long actions.

Just my experiences.

The 7STW is a very long case (2.85"). The 7mag case length is 2.5". Almost 3/8 of an inch is a huge difference when we're talking bullet seating. They both have the same mag length.

The new bdl's, sps's, etc.. have a 3.71", so .010" short would leave nothing but the boat tail of a 168 Berger in the case of a 7mmRM, if you have a comperator the saami spec freebore on a 7mmRM is .135", M700s usually have about .020" more than saami, 3.425" should put you just off the lands and I suspect 3.445" to put you .005-.010" in the lands, good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.