7mm reload problems (ballistics)

I have loaded my Ruger 77 Mark II in 7mm Rem mag for a number of years. I have used many different powder and have been able to get both accuracy and good speed shooting 160 grain Nosler Accubond bullets. My gun has a long throat so it take a little more powder that many manuals list to achieve the stated velocity. My current favorite load with the 160 Accubond uses RP case, WLRM primers, and 67.0 grains of RL-22. I know this is over most published data.It is safe and very effective in my gun. It may not be in your gun!

However, if I were you I would increase my powder charge. Work up slowly and watch for signs of pressure. I just looked at the Alliant data and they show 65.0 grains of RL-22, and a 160 Grain Speer SP bullet for 2900+ ft/sec.. My 67 grains with the 160 Accubonds give 2950 ft/sec.. I have also used H1000 with the 160 Accubonds and with 70-72 grains I have gotten 2950+ ft/sec. This is also a very good load in my gun.

If I were loading 61.0 grains of RL-22 in my gun I would be getting close to the same velocity as you are getting.

Last edited:
shortmagman
I am considering increasing the charge but I am worried about pressure.
I had a incident with pressure using a berger load everything was shooting great no signs or anything. then one day (about 20 degrees hotter and sunny)
had a major pressure problem. The increase in temp is the only thing we could come up with for a cause. other than I guess its possible I messed up that one round loading it but i am carefull but I guess its possible.
so I dont know what to do really

retiredcpo,

I do understand fear of too much pressure. I also have experienced it.One day while shooting a load in a 270 Winchester that was very safe and effective in mild weather I started noticing hard bolt lift etc and even blown primers.
The temperature in Memphis was 95+ and I had left the loaded rounds out in the sun on the shooting bench.

Now when I shoot on a hot day, I make sure that my loaded rounds are out of the sun, and also not in the cab of the truck where the sun can heat them up. If they are left out in the sun they can get as hot as 140+ degrees or more and this is sure to raise the pressure sometime to a dangerous level.

When I work up a load and I am getting near the max I work up at .5 grains at a time. If you do this carefully and make sure your rounds are kept cool you can gain more velocity and still be safe. Your velocity will also tell you when you are approaching a max load. If you are below the stated velocity in a good manual you can work up and approach that velocity.

Example: We know that it is safe to get 2900 ft/sec out of a 160 grain bullet in a 7mm Rem Mag rifle in good condition. If you are getting 2700 ft/sec you can be reasonably sure that you are below the max and therefore you can work up the powder charge.

shortmag
thats what I was thinking and will probably increase the load
but I really dont understand why im 400 fos below where the load data says i should be 100 fps or less I could see but 400 is alot.

One thing you could try is shooting/chrono some Federal premium in 160 gr Accubond. I got 2921 FPS, out of my 24" barrel, which seemed about right vs. the reported 2950 (26" barrel) with those rounds. If you can get around 2900+ FPS with those factory loads, then you should be able to work up to it with your components.

One thing you could try is shooting/chrono some Federal premium in 160 gr Accubond. I got 2921 FPS, out of my 24" barrel, which seemed about right vs. the reported 2950 (26" barrel) with those rounds. If you can get around 2900+ FPS with those factory loads, then you should be able to work up to it with your components.

That is a brilliant suggestion. Shoot the factory ammo - it's a known quantity. The perfect way to break out of "paralysis by anlaysis". To that I can only add, get a chronograph.

Fitch

Last edited:
I have learned over the years that powder and pressures DO NOT mirror each other but velocity and pressures do. In other words if the load shows a certain velocity and pressure that is what I load to. Powder lots vary and some lots can be slow but as long as you are using a chrono load to the velocity and the pressure will be right there. That is why I like Hodgdons load data because it shows pressure and velocity and that is what I load to and I have never had a problem. If you don't feel comfortable with this just load one each and work up in small increments in the .2 to .3 range and watch everything closely.

Just looked up a few recipes.

Alliant website:
65 grs. 2976 fps. CCI250 24" barrel

LoadData.com (Handloader Magazine):
65 grs. 3017 fps. fed 215 no barrel length given
65 grs. 3075 fps. rem 9.5 26" barrel 58,600 psi
62.9 grs. 3000 fps. (162 grain bullet) WLRM 24" barrel
65 grs. 2971 fps. WLR 24" barrel

My Personal Load from 10 years ago with a 160 Partition Gold:
66 grs. 3090 fps. fed 215M 26" barrel Oehler chrono

From what I can see they all seem to be close. Primers can make a big difference but not 400 fps. You might want to try a different lot of powder and shoot it again. My 7mm-08 Ackley is faster than your Mag with the same bullet weight and that should not be the case. You might also call a tech at Alliant and tell them your problem and have them check your lot number. Every so often they have recalls on certain lots and yours may have slipped through the cracks. Good Luck!!

I'm running 65gr of R22 with 162gr Interlocks, CCI 250 primer, and Winchester or R-P brass. We've shot these from Parker Hale 1200 Super bolt and a BAR. Not pressure issues in either.
Between the 7mm Mag, 270 Win, and 270 WSM my Nosler book and chrony are far apart. But the .223 loads have been pretty close, as well as 45 ACP. I am not sure if their data is way off or there is much play in the magnums. I know the 7mm Mag data has been the same for past 3 editions for R22.

thanks for all the info
sorry it took so long for me to reply ive been in yellowstone
what a great place
i am hoping to work up to 63 gr this week end
retiredcpo

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.