7mm pack rifle

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by heavy hitting 300, Jul 20, 2011.

1. heavy hitting 300

heavy hitting 300 Well-Known Member

im buying a plane jane 7mm remington mag in a ruger sporter set up. im going to put a luepold 4.5-14 on it with the reticle setup for 300, 500, 700 yards. im looking for a bullet that will fly far and hit hard but will still hold together for when i hit the brush. im wondering what you guys recomend. so far all my advise ive gotten is great so let me have it.

JIMgun):cool:

2. Firecat

Firecat Well-Known Member

I have that same rifle and it is a consistent 5/8" MOA Rifle. For a carry rifle it is perfect for me. I would recommend any one of three bullets. 140 - 150 grain Barnes TTSX, 150 Swift Scirrocco, 160 Nosler Accubond. All three of these are bad medicine in the 7mm Rem Mag. Make sure you buy it in the wood stock and you float the barrel. I have 5 Ruger M77's. Not a single one would shoot under MOA until I floated their barrels. Now they all shoot under .75" consistently. This will be a good setup for you.

3. heavy hitting 300

thanks firecat!!!

it is in a wood stock and he said he would float it for me. wich bullet do you like the most in your gun? im looking for a bullet that will bust up a shoulder bone on an elk or if i get the chance go to alaska or canada and get a moose. just looking for pure knock done power.

4. Firecat

Firecat Well-Known Member

Any of these three will work well. If going with the TTSX Barnes, I would go with the 150 grain for sure on elk. I have had great luck with Barnes in the rifles I've tried them in. As far as powders go, do some research because some powders really shine in the 7mm. Retumbo is one example. H1000 and Reloader 22 are another.

5. heavy hitting 300

hey thanks for all the info Firecat. i hope i have good luck with the barnes bullets too. look like tghe bullet ill go with. you have agood day and thanks for the info.

6. Long Time Long Ranger

Long Time Long Ranger Well-Known Member

I agree, 150 ttsx or 160 accubond. If your shooting deer/antelope/caribou size stuff the 168 Berger shots very well in my two. But for elk go to the bullets that don't have such a bad habit of shedding their jackets.

7. heavy hitting 300

Thanks long time long ranger. I like how the ttx hold together I think that's what im going with.

Jim

8. 7 loader

7 loader Well-Known Member

Ahmen to floating the tube that turned my m77 mkii along with the right load into a 1/2 to 3/4 in. group