7mm or .30

Whatever your choice, knowing your rifle and being able to put hits where you want them will be more important than caliber choice. Finding the comfortable balance of energy and shootability varies a lot from one shooter to the next.

I'm probably in the minority on this issue, but bigger caliber does not mean better in my case. I'm a big fan of 6.5mm selections for elk as well although they need to be used within their limitations. A 264 Win mag or 6.5x284 applied correctly isn't out of place as a longer range elk round.

I have to agree Sharp. Bigger isn't always better if you use what you have correctly. I have been toying with the idea of 6.5 and 7's for quite some time. Heck in Europe they kill moose at 300yrds or more with 6.5's. So I am with you all the way on your comments.

Respectfully,
Tank

FWIW, moose are not the same breed of cat as elk. One would think that moose are tougher than elk but the opposite is true. An elk's will to survive is astounding where as moose bleed a little and give up, even on a single lunger. You single lung an elk, kiss him goodbye. This is the exception and not the rule as I have seen a few moose that seemed to have 9 lives as well as elk that have been single lunged and been collected after a brief tracking job. But for the majority, you make a moose bleed, they tip over. You one lung an elk and its off to the next county.

All that said, I also believe that a 6.5 can kill elk cleanly. I also believe that it is VERY important to select ONLY perfect shots for elk where as some lesser willed game can be shot with a slightly less than perfect shot. Before you crucify me, I am not talking about taking bad shots on any species, but elk require (IMHO) no less than 100% perfection due to their strong will. A bigger bullet with more mass and energy can in some cases be more forgiving when the perfect circumstance changes when the bullet is mid flight. When it comes to elk, dont fool around. Hit them with ALL you can comfortably handle. If all you can handle is the 6.5 sweedish mauser, than by all meens, use it. If you can handle the 338 RUM or LM, then leave the 6.5 in the safe.

+1 Michael.

I saw a cow elk, single lung and bullet hole through the side of the heart go for nearly 2 miles before she was shot in the neck. I don't know how far she would have gone if we hadn't got in front of her. The first shot was with a 7RM and the bullet did not exit. We think the lower part of her cavity filled up with blood and her heart just worked like the sump pump in your basement??

Elk can be downright hard to put down.

AJ

In my opinion you can't beat a 7mm Rem Mag with Berger 168 or 180 VLD's. At 1,000 yards these bullets are moving faster than what some of the big 30 cals can produce. Also keeping the recoil to a minimum will serve far more to better your accuracy than a couple hundred fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts