7mm opinion

hellbound

in your opinions, a hunters viewpoint, is the 7mm a capable elk round at 500 plus yards range , if so explain why and what bullet. still trying to decide on elk lrh caliber

Yes you can push a 162grn hornady sst interlock at 3100 fps from a 26" 9.5 twist 7mm rem mag. That bullet has a .550 bc and has enough retained velocity and energy for elk past 500 yards. But my choice would be the 7mm wby mag over the remington version. Anything bigger than those two 7mm are just barrel smokers.

I know of at least a dozen Elk killed at 600-850 with a 7mm Rem Mag using bullets in the 162-180gr range, from hornady Interlocks and Interbonds, to Nozler Partition and Accubonds.

At 500yds, it's a no brainer. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk with that caliber at that range even with 140's.

Using a 7mm 180 gr Berger VLD with a BC of .659 out of a 7MM Ultra mag, the bullet will be travelling around 3000fps. Some may get it faster than that. With that load you would be able to take down an elk at over 1k if you were experienced at shooting at those ranges.

I shot an Oryx at a lasered 338 yards with 140 gr Barnes TTSX. The bullet was travelling at around 3300 FPS from the muzzle and you could see the dust fly up when the bullet penetrated all the way through the Oryx (broadside shot).

7mm is a very, very good elk cartridge. I really like the 7mm Ultra mag.

I am huge fan of the 7mmSTW, with the 160gr Accubonds.

My Sendero loves them! 1 ragged hole @ 100, and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot Elk at 750+ yards....if I had the right glass on top, which I currently don't. But will someday soon.

I would imagine the 7mm Weatherby would be a good one too.

And I see no reason why a 7mm Rem Mag wouldn't be able to do it either @ 500 yards with some 160gr Accubonds.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.