7mm (nos btip vs amax or vmax)

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by bydhrpr, Jun 21, 2003.

1. bydhrpr

bydhrpr Member

I have made cosistent clean kills with a 140 nosler ball tip out to about 800 yds.(Whitetails) I have been wondering about hornady's amax and vmax bullets.
    Can anyone tell me how the amax or vmax bullets for a 7mm wsm would work at long range for deer.

Thanks bhrpr

2. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

My experience is with the Amax, 162 grain out of a 7mm Dakota at 3400 fps. One shot kills on 3 deer from 525 to 690 yards. Great performer.

3. jcpython357

jcpython357 Well-Known Member

They don't make a VMAX for the 7mm, but If they did, it would explode on contact, they're made for varmint hunting, and when they hit there's nothing left of em' Jay

4. Jake in NC

Jake in NC Well-Known Member

.. Damn Jay.. I reckon I better not shoot these 120gr 7mm VMax's then.. If they don't exist it's gonna make load development a real pain..!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] JiNC

5. Guest

Guest Guest

[ 03-17-2004: Message edited by: 338-378 ]

6. Boyd Heaton

Boyd Heaton Well-Known Member

I shoot the 120gr V-Max in my stw....Work very well........

7. Cybra

Cybra Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Well, I'll be..!! Nothing like being brought up to speed. [​IMG] That's actually nice to know, as previously I was shooting some older 120gr Sierras. So you fellas like the 120gr VMaxs, eh? Might have to give those a try--I liked the 120 Sierras in my 7-08 quite a bit...

D

8. jcpython357

jcpython357 Well-Known Member

Damn Jake, I didn't see that one in the corner of my Hornady catalog, ya know, I've read this catalog about 1000 times and now I remember seeing them in here, are they as explosive as the smaller calibers? I'd assume they are, since thats how Hornady markets VMAX bullets. Jay [​IMG]

9. Jake in NC

Jake in NC Well-Known Member

.. I can't say fersure how they do on varmints but they sure make a mess of them sodi-pop's.. Hehehe.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Guest

Guest Guest

THE V-MAX BULLETS ARE VERY EXPLOSIVE IN MY 17 REM THEY GO IN BUT THEY DON'T COME OUT.
    AS FAR AS THE 7mm MY TIKKA 7 MAG LOVES THE HORNADY 139gr SST HAVE NOT TRIED THEM AT ANY DISTANCE YET BUT PUT THE HURT'N ON A DEER UNDER 200 YARDS

11. Savage99

Savage99 Active Member

The 120 VMax is very accurate in my 7mm WSM. I am using it for long range coyote hunting so as to reduce the chance of a ricochet. I know there are bullets that might carry further but that's not my primary concern.

With a full charge of RL 22 and 215M's I have had a number of one hole groups as far as 200 yds. I am still working on the bedding on the third stock on this M 70 Classic.

As to what would happen on a deer I have no idea. I don't think anything wants to get hit by this bullet however.

If the bullet you are using now is working at long range I think you should be very happy and just keep using it.

12. H-BAR

H-BAR Well-Known Member

I have used the 55gr vmax bullets on deer permits. They were fired out of an AR15 out to max ranges of 350to 400yds. 90% of the shots were head shots and the rest in the boiler room. The deer flop right in their tracks when hit with these things!!! I switched to the 68gr hollow points to get a little more range.