7mm Magnum loads

G

I am awaiting my Savage AccuTrigger 7mm Remington Magnum. I have the dies, etc., and some moly 162 gr. A-Max bullets, as well as some 160 gr. Speer Mag-Tips. I'm thinking the A-Max may be the way to go for deer hunting. I have some IMR 4064 that I use for my 8mm Mauser rifle I used to hunt with. Is this a good powder for the "Big Seven"? If not, what are other choices for 3100 fps loads?

What are your best LR 7mm Mag loads?

troll, I'd go with H1000, RETUMBO, IMR or H4831, 4064 isn't even in the reloading manual for the '7'. The max for H4831 is 64grs, IMR4831 is 63grs. 73.5grs is max for RETUMBO and H1000 max is 70grs. H1000 and RETUMBO will give you more velocity and may give good accuracy also. Save the 4064 for a 308Win.
wink.gif
Jay

Thanks for the help. I think I will check out and see what is available locally tommorow.

now you may get somewhere if you have not ****ed off everybody.
I like reloader 25 71 grs with the bullet touching the lands in a big 7 sendero.
this not a 1000 yd gun but I have taken a buck at 542 and another the day before at 420 using the mill dot system out of a 4.5x14x50 leupold This has only made me want to go farther and I know I need these guys to help with my ADDICTION as you will too.
this is what it takes to get started
money
friends
experience
RESPECT
which you may have money which I doubt. But you don't have the other three. I know I need these guys to help me because this is a animal that you can't stalk by yourself and it will kill you with out these guys. so be carefull of what you ask. Because these are friends and they have the experience and they have RESPECT that YOU and I need. Good Luck on that new rifle and have fun

I am hoping the longer barrel of the Savage (26") will help boost the ballistics of the 7mm Remington. I read I can expect an increase of up to 50 fps per inch of barrel on a 7mm. That would be great. Some reloading manuals list 160's @ 3100 fps with a 24" barrel. I would be happy to reach 3100 fps w/ my 26" tube. Hope the rifle shows soon, this nice weather has got me itching to do some shooting! Has anybody tested for speed a 24 inch versus a 26 inch barrel in a 7mm Magnum? What do you think would the results would be? I like the fact that the Savage 112BVSS has a fluted barrel, so it don't overheat as fast. I don't want to cook the barrel on this baby!

quick note on overheating the barrel as well- even though its fluted, you shouldnt have to worry about it at all really, especially while trying loads at the range. as the barrel heats up, its going to change your POI, so to ensure everything stays consistant, let the barrel cool a few minutes between shots. what i do is shoot one, walk down range and mark the shot, then go back and check the barrel before shooting again. not that i really need to check the shot every time, but walking 100 yards down and back gives the barrel a few minutes to cool and me something to do while i wait. if you shoot too fast in between, its going to throw your shots- mine usually happening in a rising string at about 45*. yes, it takes a while to try loads out, but shooting fast does you no good anyway.

see how much better this is when you act civilized? you might start shooting halfway decent after all....

-Brian

I can dig what Brian is saying, I shoot 3 shots with magnums and let the barrel cool for 10-15 min. before going at it again, shooting another 3 shot group etc., you're not shooting Pdogs with this thing are you? If you're shooting LR competition, might want to get a heavy barrel so the heat won't walk you're shots as much, but for regular hunting 3 shot groups are good. I read once where Ross Seyfried from G&A took one of his deerrifles to the range, shot it once and put it in the case, did this for like 10 days or something, can't remember exactly, at any rate he wound up with a one hole group, of course that just tells you where your first shot is going, but that's usually the one that counts.
wink.gif
Jay. How are your triggers working out, Brian?

pretty good Jay, thanks again man. shooting both of them the other day and the 270 seems to break a shade nicer than the 300, but both are better than they were. i'll drop a jewell in the 300 sooner or later, but i need to tighten the group up and work on a few other things first. figure the trigger will be the icing on the cake once i get it set up and shooting nicely. no sense worrying about a trigger until i get that, ya know?

Saw a dark pickup with a bug sheild that said "Mountain Man" on it coming up Rt 120 when I was heading down to Williamsport last Friday.

Thought it might be you?

Later
DC

whoa?!? that bastard stole my name!

wasnt me though, i have a green silverado with a lift kit and big tires on it, but no bug shield. didnt like the looks of them.

thanks for the S-2 though. gives me a challenge, hunting down this....this.....imposter.

Troll
I started loading for the 7 mag way back in 1975 and have tired many different powder & bullet combinations since then.

Speer MagTip 160
65gr of H4831 always shot very good groups in my rifle and in 3 other rifles of my friends.
Velocity was 2950 fps from the Rem.700 BDL-24"

There are several different powders that will flow through this caliber very nicely as well as different bullets. The MagTip bullets are not the ones to use for anything over 200 yrds, they loss their velocity rather fast.

I am now shooting the Barnes "x" 150 gr Moly bullets;
*H4831 - 66.5grs = 3,050 fps.
Normally they will hold 1/2" groups @ 100.

*Throat of barrel has been lengthen 90 thousands to accept the Barnes bullets better.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts