7mm Mag

There are a lot of good options out there. Savage makes a nice gun, I have always shot Remington's and had really good luck with them. Plus upgrades are easy to come by for them. Winchester makes a good gun. Really depends on what you want, synthetic, wood, heavy or light. The choices will blow your mind. hahaha

My first dedicated big game unit was/is a Ruger 7mag and my latest rock bustin/long range unit just happens to also be a 7mag but in Savage BVSS form:D

I have had mine since 1970. The barrel may be getting a bit tired but it kills every thing that I hit properly. I have never shot anything over 400lbs with it, but would use it for Elk if necessary. I would not even think of taking on a big bear (read Grizzley/Brown or Polar) with it. Some people use it for Moose as well, but I have larger caliber rifles and would use one (larger)on Elk or anything bigger. That is just my preference, but it is a great all aroung caliber.

Just my 2ct's! 7mm mag!!!! Pretty darn good round!! Been shooting one since 1968(still have it) it's a rem 700,24in barrel. Got two more, one stainless,one mod 700pss, both have 26 in barrels. There are many great rifle's out there, Win,Ruger,Savage,Browning,etc. The 7mm mag is just about good for anything on the North American Continate! I've got other calibers, but the 7mag is just my go two round!! Also fixing to start on a 7/300. Don't need it, just want one!

DT

You'll really like it when you go out to the range.

I installed it this weekend. Ultra easy! Took some time to adjust but would go better on the next one now that I know what I am doing. I haven't been to the range yet but dang does it feel nice. I would recommend spending the money to have one if you have never tried one.

heres my take on it. Its one of my favorite rounds. Probably not a better combo of smack on an amimal and flat trajectory with mild recoil. that said I havent had the best of luck finding an real accurate one. Ive owned 6 through the years and most seem to be about 1.5 inch or maybe a tad less shooters at a 100 yards. I still havent found that majical 7mag that drives nails with about any load you put in it. Dont know why? Ive had great shooting 280s and my 7stw is one of those guns that shoots everything well. Maybe its just dumb luck. Maybe its because 3 of those 7mags were rugers and i guess i shouldnt have expected them to be sub moa guns. But ive had two remingtons and one winchester and they were nothing to write home about either. Now before you jump on me saying i didnt try enough different loads ill tell you ive shot thousands of rounds of 7mag through the years off the bench looking for that majic gun and recipe. One of these days im going to walk into the gun shop and a 7mag will be sitting there calling me thats going to be that holy grail gun!!!

lloydsmale,stop looking I already have your holy grail.:rolleyes: sub 1/2 moa out to 1000 all day long 68.5 grs H1000 168berger VLD @ 2932fps. It wasn/t sitting on the shelf though had to build it. Not a thing wrong with a 7mm. Next project though is an 300WM. lightbulb

heres my take on it. Its one of my favorite rounds. Probably not a better combo of smack on an amimal and flat trajectory with mild recoil. that said I havent had the best of luck finding an real accurate one. Ive owned 6 through the years and most seem to be about 1.5 inch or maybe a tad less shooters at a 100 yards. I still havent found that majical 7mag that drives nails with about any load you put in it. Dont know why? Ive had great shooting 280s and my 7stw is one of those guns that shoots everything well. Maybe its just dumb luck. Maybe its because 3 of those 7mags were rugers and i guess i shouldnt have expected them to be sub moa guns. But ive had two remingtons and one winchester and they were nothing to write home about either. Now before you jump on me saying i didnt try enough different loads ill tell you ive shot thousands of rounds of 7mag through the years off the bench looking for that majic gun and recipe. One of these days im going to walk into the gun shop and a 7mag will be sitting there calling me thats going to be that holy grail gun!!!

Mine is a M77, Up till now I haven't had to much trouble finding a sub MOA load, even when it was in factory trim. After I shot that first barrel out, my GS went through the action when he installed the after market barrel, since then it's only been a matter of using good components, and paying attention to detail in load work up. I just got a new stock installed on it, I pillar bedded this one and used Devcon Platsic steel for the bedding material. I am also at the beginning stages of working up a load with 180gr Hybrids and Retumbo. The results from that trip where that 6 different powder charges all shot at the same point of aim made a sub MOA group. My load I used hunting last year 168gr Classic Hunter , and H1000 before was 1/2moa or better, I tried them out after my load testing just to see how they compared to last fall, they went into the same hole, by that I mean the each subsequent shot cleaned up the tattered paper around the edges of the hole. My conclusion is this: My GS did a damned fine job for me, I got my bedding job very right, on a much better stock than the original wood stock. And yes M77's and 7mags can shoot. Not bragging just very very tickled with the results.

I have to wonder though, a load I worked up with matrix bullets went 1/2" at 200, what would it do now? Hmm might have to revisit it again the the 180gr Hybrids to pan out in the end.

Joe I guess for the most part ive worked with factory guns. Mostly wood stocked factory guns. All of them were floated, bedded and the triggers were done but thats about it. The most recent is a ruger hawkeye and ive got it down to around a inch and a quarter for 5 shots but it doesnt seem to want to budge from there. I know most here have differnt ideas then I do. Im more of a hunter then a long range competitor. Ive never rebarreled a gun. If they didnt shoot they went down the road. I guess for my uses i just never could justify spending 600 bucks rebarreling a 600 dollar gun. then putting a 400 dollar stock on it and paying a smith another 300 or so to do accuracy work. Now i may be a bit of a hypocrit on this subject because I do have a few custom revolvers that set me back well over 2k. Ive just through the years been able to for the most part find factory guns that shoot good enough for my uses. What is good enough for my uses? I like a gun that on its worse day shoots its best load into an inch for 5 shots. that accuracy level is good enough for deer out to 500 yards if i do my part. Problem is ive just never found a 7mag out of the box that would do it. I keep threatening to buy a 7 mag sendero. Its at about the top of the price range ill do on a rifle and might be my best hope of finding a good one.

:) lol I had to look, If memory serves I bought the rifle for less than $500, (15years ago), the barrel cost $150, action work and barrel install (10yrs ago) I think was about $240, the stock I just put on including the Pachmyer decelerator, pillars and bedding material cost me about $130. I did the stock work myself. Oh almost forgot the paint kit too! $35. But like I said in factory trim it it shot very well, after I bedded it and floated the barrel. I guess the ol girl has been a gem, never really thought about it that way, just always had great success with it, and it's always worked. My 270 has been a great rifle too, the only thing the 2 really have in common is that when I bought each, I bought them off of a gut feeling, sort of like they spoke to me:)

I havent had the best of luck finding an real accurate one.

Took me 20 years to find a load the old Ruger really likes=70grains of Retumbo, a 160 Nosler partition,Hornady brass and Remington 91/2M primers Or 67 Retumbo,180Bergers,Hornady brass and 91/2M primers. The most amaizing part is the new/used Savage BVSS 7mag shines with the same loads:D
I was going to buy a lottery ticket but they dont sellem here:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.