7mm mag velocities

Gurnz

Looking for realistic velocities for 7 mag shooting 168 grain bergers and RL 22. I don't have a chrono so i'm trying to get and idea before I start working up loads. Thanks

Try looking up Reloadersnest.com. They have a ton of recipes on that sight. Should give you some indication. Pay attention to the posters barrel length and try to match the bullet you are using the powder you plan to use. Yours will be different, but may be really close to what you are actually getting.

Tank

For powder, Magnum provides the fastest around 3000+ fps with a 162 SST, a little faster with a 160 Nosler. About 50 fps slower using 168 VLDs. WLRM and F215 primers worked the best for me in my heavy barrel 9 1/4 twist 7mm rem mag.

H4831 provided the best accuracy but 2850 fps. Mag Pro provided the best balance between high velocity and tight groups leaving me 3/4 moa at 3000 fps.

Good luck with this, it's a good old cartridge. gun)

Doesn't matter. If you don't have a chrono, you will have no idea what it is doing in your rifle. Work up a load that shoots good and use it. Shoot at distance to get your drops for that load and shoot. When you get to the upper pressure limit with the load, it doesn't really matter how fast it is. If you are using a reasonable powder, (look at the available data), you will be fast A chrono is nice, but not neccesary.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.