7MM Mag factory ammo recommendation for elk

I was just saying that since you reload, and since reloading is ALWAYS more accurate than factory mass produced ammo, why not spend $ 40 on the dies and load for him.

But if he wants good factory ammo, try these...

Nosler Trophy Grade Ammo 7mm Remington Mag 160 Grain AccuBond Box of

Nosler Custom Ammo 7mm Remington Mag 160 Grain AccuBond Spitzer Box of

The first one I listed (Nosler Trophy Grade) is in stock and available @ Midway. I would highly suggest that he shoot 160gr Nosler Accubond factory loaded ammo, until he is ready to handload, as Bergers tend to be a little more tricky to load for in a generic sense. The Ogive design of the VLD's make them a bit finnicky to load for, and tend to have to be adjusted to find out where your individual rifle likes them, so it is best to hold off on the Berger VLD ammo until he can reload for his rifle, unless he wants to keep getting 1 MOA groups, which is more than plenty good enough to kill a deer out to 500 yards.

As noted in my original post, he shot the 160 NABs before switching to 180 Berger VLDs. Thanks.

I would just stick with the HSM, one inch isn't that bad in a factory rifle and will certainly be minute of elk to 500 yards. You've got a Premium Berger hunting bullet and he seems to not want to let you dial it in better so rock it, unless you can get a Premium Berger 168gr load.
I offered them that in my first post, but apparantly they don't want to reload for it, for some reason...I can tell you one thing, after reloading, there's on 1 reason to buy more factory ammo.....If you run out of brass, and can't find any bags of brass anywhere.

Mark,

I too am a heavier bullet fan, I talked him into the 180s over the 168s last year. BTW, I already told him about the cost on my handloads. He gave me all his spent brass and saving it for him when he finally realize it. lightbulb

Ed
One $40 set of dies will load him millions of rounds of ammo, and will get him alot further for alot less money than a $50-60 box of 20 rounds will....

:D

Yep, I know what you mean but like I said, he's stubborn.lightbulb
Buy them for him and tell him Merry F'in Christmas! :D

I had to do that with another buddy of mine who shoots a .300 Wby Mag. He kept puttin off buying dies for me to reload for him, but he kept complaining about how his gun wouldn't shoot hardly any factory ammo right, so I picked up a set of RCBS dies and about 50 once-fired brass from a local guy for about $50-60 total (dies and brass), and loaded some up for him to try out. He asked how much he owed me, I told him don't worry about it right now, and to shoot the ones I loaded up and let me know which ones shot the best out of his gun. Then once he figured out which ones shot the best, I'd make him a list of what to buy to reproduce those reloads. And then he could pay for his own reloading supplies.

Sorry I forgot to mentionthat he's kinda anal too;:cool: I'vs provided various ammo websites that provides end users guide.
No offense intended, but your buddy sounds kinda stupid if he won't just buy a $40 set of dies and be done with it... I mean, what good is having a friends who reload when you won't let them reload your ammo for you, and all you have to buy is the components... I guess he has yet to discover the wonderful world of how much more accurate handloads are, especially when you pull the bullets and weigh out the powder in factory loads... You will be shocked.

No offense intended, but your buddy sounds kinda stupid if he won't just buy a $40 set of dies and be done with it... I mean, what good is having a friends who reload when you won't let them reload your ammo for you, and all you have to buy is the components... I guess he has yet to discover the wonderful world of how much more accurate handloads are, especially when you pull the bullets and weigh out the powder in factory loads... You will be shocked.

No offense taken and believe me I wonder about that myself.
:)

The closest and most accurate ammo I have found (as far as powder weight consistency) is Nosler Custom. Federal Premium used to do an excellent job as well. But I haven't bought any factory ammo in years, so I have no idea how they are now.

I have never pulled and weighed HSM ammo so, I can't really throw them in the judgment mix. The worst I've ever pulled and weighed was Remington. Then again, Remington .22 ammo almost ruined a $400 pistol of mine many years ago, if it had not been for a gunsmith friend of mine, who was able to drill out the bullets and tap them out of the barrel saving the bore and rifling... She still shoots lights out today, but only with Federal .22 ammo. That's the reason why I refuse to use anything Remington makes as far as ammo, brass, powder, primers, or bullets are concerned. :cool:

If a man doesnt want to get into reloading or he doesnt want to reload that caliber.... AND if might be FOR HIM that the accuracy he gets from good factory ammo more than satisfy him.....whats the big deal.

He dont wish to do it...period.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.