• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED 7mm hornady 162gr SST

Timnterra

I have 4 boxes (400) hornady 7mm 162 SST bullets for sale. I bought these then decided to go over to Berger 168 vlds. These are the most versetile most underrated hunting bullet that Hornady makes. I will sell these for $30 per box plus shipping. Pm, text or call Tim 270-576-0801

This is an excerpt from ballisticstudies.com

"The Hornady 162 grain SST bullet is one of the very best all-round projectiles available for the 7mm Rem Mag. The only major difficulty with this projectile, is that in custom barrels with shallow throat lead angles designed for the Amax and VLD, the SST can be hard to get shooting accurately. The 162 grain SST produces a wide wound channel and relatively deep penetration. Where deep penetration is required, such as for use on large bodied medium game, the 162 grain SST should be annealed in candle flame as described above. The SST has a stout jacket which, after its explosive impact, often stays at too large a diameter for maximum terminal performance. Annealing the ogive enables the frontal area to swage back against the shank for deeper, more uniform penetration. Weight retention is around 50% for both the standard and annealed 162 grain SST however annealing minimizes incidents of bullet blow up or basic jacket core separation.

In rifles that will shoot the 162 grain SST accurately, this bullet driven at 3070-3120fps makes an outstanding light to medium weight game bullet from point blank, out to 1000 yards although at the longer ranges, bone must be hit in order to ensure mechanical wounding and expansion. This bullet (annealed) is one of the better choices for long range work (beyond 600 yards) on large, tough bodied medium game. No other bullet can fully compare to the SST in this particular role which places huge and to a large extent, unrealistic demands on the bullet manufacturer."

(7mm Remington Magnum)

I forgot to mention that i would also like to trade these for Berger 7mm hunting 168gr vlds. I know the Bergers are more expensive so I will trade 100 hornady for 70 berger Thanks
Tim

Recent Posts