7mm Dakota build

ol mike

Ok guys this is my first real longrange set-up.

I've got a gun built in my head ,also i have the donor rifle in my closet it's a rem. 700 adl 270win. w/an hs precision stock.
I got the gun very cheap and want to keep the price down on the build -so no jewell trigger -fluted barrel and i'm not going to put hundreds of blueprinting dollars into the action.
I like the adl set-up and i'm not going to change to different bottom metal/different stock wyatt's box etc. "i'm using what i have".
I've did a little measuring here and there and from what i see the 7mm stw w/the the 160accubond or 162 a max-168gr vld's w/the bullet seated at the neck -shoulder juction will not fit in the magazine.So that's why i chose the 7mm dakota cartridge ,it is stated that it will function in a long action when set-up this way ? <That's my question ?

I have an email in to broughton barrels asking Tim a couple of questions/opinions on what diameter barrel he'd recommend for a heavy sporter weight in 30" finished length.
I'm thinking a #5 ? In a 5 R -rifling barrel .

Also i want to get dies made off the reamer .
I also have a scope and rings zeiss 6.5x20-50 w/burris signature rings w/inserts.
The rifle will be used for longrange wolf hunting ,hoping the rifle will get me out to 8-900yds.
Sound ok ?

Well first question is , are woofs the only critters that your gonna be shooting at??

The 7mmDakota is a great round but it is gonna require some machine work to the action or the bolt at a minimum is gonna have to have the bolt face opened up , and to me it makes no since to have the bolt indicated in for the bolt face opening and trueing and not cut the lugs square and realy that doesen't offer any bennifit if the lugs recesses in the action arn't cut square.

But anyway , If you relaod I would opt for either a 6.5-06 Ai or a 280 Ai rather than the Dakota , both of these rounds will kill deer to 1000yds with the right bullets like the 140 A-max in the 6.5 or the 162 A-max in the 280Ai plus all that you'll need to do you your existing gun is rebarrel it , no other mods will "need" to be done.

Not trying to put you off of the Dakota as they are great rounds but I personaly feel that with the mds that are gonna have to be done to the gun to make the bigger cases work you may as well have the action trued and do it right.

James ,

My wording was a little off ,i was trying to convey that i'm using this action,stock and adl set-up.
And by saying i don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on the action -i meant i don't want to replace firing pin assembly ,lug ,trigger -this shroud that extractor -bushed this -pinned that etc-etc---you know!I'd just get a custom action.
I've looked at the AI's ,hawks and rocky gibbs improvements on the 06 case BUT i have a 25-06 that is still pounding out bullets accurately it will be one of those improved versions someday soonish.
The adl 270 shoots like a champ but i just can't warm up to the 270 so i thought i'd have a basic square-up and rebarrel.
I want more umphh than the 7 wsm
-want to use the adl magazine without the bullets buried into the case.I'll have to replace the spring follower i guess -06 case too skinny.
So the dakota is the only cartridge i know of that can do that.Dakota has great brass also.

Would a #6 barrel be heavy enough for a 30" finished length -7mm Dakota ?

I came back as MWE after the software change -use to be ol mike ?

Last edited:
Fit the Wyats mag box

Hi i would get the Wyats mag box fitted it will be cheeper to hav it fitted and run a 7mm STW or 7mm Ultra mag than the extra cost of dies and cases for the Dakota you are going to be paying a preiumim for the custom dies and custom cases where the STW and ultra cases are available for very reasonable prices. I would fit the mag box even if you went for the Dakota.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.