7mm bullets

TNdeer

Im looking for some bullet reccomendations for elk/deer with a 7mm.I mostly hunt deer but have a trip planned for elk in 2014 so would like to start figuring this out now.Ive been shooting 150gr sierra game king.

The only elk I have ever killed, have been with Barnes. My bull and cow this year with the 168gr LRX, and my boy's cow 2 years ago with a 130gr TSX in 270 WSM. Accubond would be my second choice.

Another +1 on the Accubond. In over 30 years of elk hunting and over 100 elk down between my buddies and myself we have shot elk with Partitions, various soft points, the old Barnes X, TSX, Trophy Bonded, Bergers, the list goes on.

None have given the us more consistant penetration and expansion as the Accubonds.

I must admit that in my 6.5x284 the Bergers are more accurate and I killed an elk with 1 shot with a 140g Berger this year, I like the Accubonds better.

I shot a few elk about 10 years ago with 160gr Sierra game kings, out of a 7mm rm and the bullets blew to bits! I say accubond or Barnes which ever you and your gun get along with best.Good luck

Barnes 180 grain TSX in a .300 win mag has been my choice for 4, 1 shot and drop mature bulls.The shortest range was 293 yards. 2 of the shots were rushed and entered the front shoulder while facing me. (DUMB) The bullets were found in the off side hip just under the skin. Those bullets retained 94% and 97% of their weight. Great penetration.

I'm a little different than everyone above. Shoot a bullet designed for big game that works good in your rifle. There are alot of good bullets out there these days and I've had experience with most of them. Depending on you rifle i would recommend 160 -170 gn bullet. I personally am not a fan of the accubond on elk but many of guys here seem to like them. Most important thing i like to see in one of my clients is the ability to shoot an ELK not a target, out at least 350 yards.

I have never shot an elk yet been waiting 30 yrs to afford a trip out west.I am going to montana next yr(2014) with my new family they live in polson.mt. I do have plenty of experience shooting whitetails out to 500 though.Not sure how this hunt will go but i have my rifle at the smith getting a new krieger barrel.I am trying to learn as much as possible about western hunting and making sure my gun is ready.Now all i need to save for is a decent range finder(would love the g7 but will prob have to be satisfied with a leupy)

I took a cow last year with my 7mm Rem mag and 160 gr. AccuBonds. I intentionally wanted a cow for the excellant low- cholesterol meat. They normally eat much better than an old bull.
We were hunting in high winds and my shot came at 317 yards in the trees (lasered later). I hit her too far back on the first shot and she moved about 10 yards and stopped, too sick to continue as the herd moved off. The second shot was a bang flop, close behind the front shoulder.
Both bullets were recovered under the hide on the far side and weighed 105 and 110 grs. nicely mushroomed. The first shot had hit her through the liver making her sick. There was very little blood-shot meat.
The load was 65.5 grs. of RL-22 ahead of a F-215 primer in WW cases. loaded .030 off the lands. velocity was just slightly under 3,000 fps, 2975 or so. This load shoots sub-moa in my rifle out to the limits of our 300 yard range. It is also very flat shooting. +2" @ 100, +2"" @ 200 and -2" @ 300. Pressures appeared very mild, I also tried 66 grs. pressures which also appeared mild enough and velocity was over 3,000 fps. but there was no noticeable difference on the targets except for about 40 fps so I stayed with the milder load in order to avoid any problems on the hunt. I'm going to shoot the same load next year. It's a winner. :)

Been shooting 168 gr Berger's out of a 7mm Mag for the the last three years and three dead elk. All three were dead right there. 150 yards, 250 yards. and the last was 410 yards. All bullets were recovered on the off side shoulder and shed most of there weight internal. I love Berger Bullets.

I'm going on my first elk hunt this year as well. 7mm SAUM, I'll use 162gr SST unless it won't shoot(not likely), then I'll move to accubond, 160 or maybe new 168.

It will be cow hunt as I try for bull tag later. I've always shot 139 SST for deer. I practice a lot, feel good to 600 yards. It would have to be perfect conditions for ME to shoot game past 400 yards.

Good luck, have fun.

I've been using Hornadys 162 BTSP for years now,.. it's my to-go-to choice for that caliber rifle,... consistent, precise, and deadly out of my rifle.

They do just what they are suppose to if you do your end of it. :D

I shot a spike in Wyoming this past season with a 168gr Berger at 50 yards with a 7mm Rem SAUM. The bullet went through the shoulder & stopped under the hide and weighed 76gr

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts