7mm BR versus 7-30 Waters

7ultra

Just wondering which of these two would be the better performer out of 15" Encore. Criteria--killing power, accuracy and recoil. Basically, I'm assuming that recoil should be close for both. So it comes down to accuracy and recoil. Any thoughts, opinions?

I have the TC contender in 7-30 waters and a xp100 in the 7Br. Pretty similar in both. Really hard to tell apart. Both drop deer at 250 yards like a hammer. Deer have not been able to tell me any difference.

I know TC makes the contender and encore in 7-30, but not aware of the 7Br barrel in theirs. If not, would not go custom for the money is not worth it. 7-30 will do anything the 7 BR will and in factory barrel vs $350-400 barrel.

BH

To me the choice is clear. While I have shot and enjoyed the 7-30 waters, it is an antiquated cartridge with sub-par, thin brass. Accuracy can still be good (for awhile) but in comparing accuracy potential, one should not have to look farther than the name-7mm <u>Bench Rest</u>

As said, the 7x30 Waters in a Contender will be just under the 7BR in a bolt rig or encore. Can't use the 7mm BR in the Contender. The BR case has a record for accuracy and I would assume that the Waters in the Encore should match the MV of the BR. How much accuracy are you looking for? What ranges are you wanting to use to for?

This is pretty much uncharted territory for me. I'm a rifle hunter first, now getting into hand guns. In terms of accuracy, I would say definite sub-moa at 100, estatic with less than or around .5 MOA. My ranges would vary, from 50 to possible 250-300 yard shot. I want a cartridge that is not only accurate out to those distances, but still has a little knock down power. The 7 BR seems to be what I'm leaning towards. Recoil should not be too bad in a 15" Encore. The accuracy should be there, I know thats the case with the rifles. I don't know, I guess I'm just at a loss with how to guage how a cartridge will perform out of such a short barrel. I'm so used to hunting with plus 3000 ft/lbs energy cartridges. I think I'm just a little leary of if the 7 BR and Waters will be able to fill my criteria, in lieu of going for a bigger pistol cartridge (like a 280, 280 Imp, 284 ....). Thanks for the help.

7ultra,

I have a SS T/C Contender in 7x30 Waters with a 14" barrel and a Nikon 2.5x8 Monarch scope. It is a shooter, I have shot several groups under 1/2 inch, my best 3 shot group at 100 yds being .225". My bullet choice is the Nosler 120 gr Ballistic Tip.
I used it this past deer season but the deer didn't cooperate.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

JD338

You can have great accuracy out of 14-16 inch specialty handguns eve in the larger case capacities. Since you tend (my assumption) to like the LR game in rifles you will likley want something bigger very soon in a specialty handgun. May I suggest the 260 Remington or the 7mm-08 as a good start cartridge?

I would agree with xphunter, if you are looking for a little more but managable recoil than i would look at a 260 or 7-08, and maybe lean a little twards the improved versions of them. Some examles could be; 6.5 Super Bower or the 7mm Super Bower, both based off of the 307 case.

Several bullet mftrs make a "single shot pistol" bullet that works extremely well at the pistol velocities. Sierra is the ones I have been using.

IF you can get a factory or TC custom shop barrel in 7 BR, then that is cost effective and highly reliable and accurate rig.

All the TCs with careful reloading normally run under 1". If you cannot get there, then normally a barrel problem which does show up occasionally.

Many people starting off find the 7-08 and 308 class along with some of the larger wildcats a "handfull" until they get some experience. The 2 7mm cartridges you are talking about are the right class to start in.

Bower and SSK have some of the better wildcats to go for later.

BH

260 Rem is not to much if braked

I have a 14 inch 260 Rem that is braked in a MOA Maximum that my 15 yr old daughter has used for the last 3 years for deer and my son, now 10 was shooting it at steel rams at 500 meters with great consistency when he had just turned nine. A braked 08 class cartridge is a pussycat even for young people.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.