7mm am

has anyone used a montana rifleman action seems to be a smaller company just wondering if they are worth looking at or should i stick with the surgeon , bats , etc.

Most custom actions tend to be of significantly higher quality than standard production actions. Like so many things in life, you generally get what you pay for. From time to time, some custom action manufacturers run into quality control issues. Gunsmiths usually stay on top of these events and LRH usually does a pretty fair job of reporting them as well. If you want the 7mm AM, then email Kirby and ask him what he thinks about a specific action for the application you have in mind.

BTW: Snipershide currently has a group buy on Stiller actions - about $150 to $200 off retail. :)

has anyone used a montana rifleman action seems to be a smaller company just wondering if they are worth looking at or should i stick with the surgeon , bats , etc.

For my money I would stick with Surgeon. My custom 7 SAUM is built with the Surgeon short action and I love it. I'm looking at my next custom being a 7/338 Norma improved built with a Surgeon XL action.

Gator26,
I wouldn't recommend the Montana Rifle Company action for a long range build based on the one MRC action I had and feedback from people on other forums. Not a bad action but tolerances and quality control are most likely no where near that of those frequenly mentioned here on LRH.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.