7mm AM WC872 and temp sensitivity?

I dunno about the jacket thing, I think the bullets were impacting low because whenever the elk decided to move, they came towards me before going down into the canyon. I'm theorizing (because no bullet hits were seen) that the bullet was just missing low and impacting the ground on the opposite side of the herd. I think they moved towards me because they heard/saw the bullet impact the ground and moved away from it, which was towards me. With the PK brake on the rifle, they couldn't determine where the shots were coming from.

Another reason why I think that they were impacting low, is that the bullet that went exactly as aimed, had a 2 moa up adjustment made on that shot. If the bullets weren't impacting low, wouldn't the 2 moa adjustment sent it over the elks back with a high shoulder hold?

Yes.14" high. Unless by 4th shot, desperation set n and u made a rushed shot. 700 is a long shot. Even though it doesnt seem to be nowadays. Maybe u made a perfect shot. Just offering up ideas after experiencing same trouble at 100 yds with frigid temps.

Yes.14" high. Unless by 4th shot, desperation set n and u made a rushed shot. 700 is a long shot. Even though it doesnt seem to be nowadays. Maybe u made a perfect shot. Just offering up ideas after experiencing same trouble at 100 yds with frigid temps.

No, no desperation. I had a spotter calling out yardage and the rest was solid. I've spent enough time in competition shooting where the jitters don't bother me any more.

One last thing. You say you held for heart shot on previous shots. Then after adding 2 MOA you held high shoulder. And if you had a spotter, and you were indeed shooting low. Looks to me like he shouldve seen at least one of bullets impacting low. Im sticking with- bullets never made it to target. You already said you vaporized the 175s before. More to this frozen barrel dilema than people realize.even those guys that have been shooting for decades.

Well, I will surely keep that in mind when I do testing next winter!

Maybe, just maybe if I get really curious, I could throw the whole rifle in the chest freezer that I have overnight, take it out and shoot it right quick. I'm fortunate enough that I can shoot right here on the property.

Loaded magazine was kept in an inside coat pocket, so that could be duplicated easily.

No need to run to the shooting bench, if the bullet impacts the bank on the opposide side of the pond, I'll know that the bullet isn't coming apart like the 175 SMK's.

We almost csme to conclusion this winter that we need to have different loads for different temps. Joked about having a different gun for sub freezing temps and then one for above freezing. My undetstanding is the results are more drastic with custom rifles. Just keep it n mind. And please let me know your results. I personally have video of shooting crop damage deer last summer using my RUM and 180 vlds at 3275fps where u can see bullet coming apart in flight. So add your speed(which you prob 1n9 twist im 1n 9.5) and a reduced diameter bore (because of temp and tighter specs)and it could easily be tearing bullet apart. So i believe. Jamie

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.