7mm, 7mm mag, 300 rum decisions, decisions...

Don't let anyone tell you it is too big for deer or other smaller big game. It makes them dead when you shoot them, and my experience, the smaller bullets seem to do more meat damage than the larger bullets.

Not sure if this in response to my comment about the RUM being "more than he needed", but *more than you need and *too big for...* are two different things. No rifle is "too big" for anything, but at 500 yds, an elk won't be able to tell much of a difference between a 300 WSM, WM or RUM. At a 1000 yds, there is a difference.

Cheers,

Mark

Not sure if this in response to my comment about the RUM being "more than he needed", but *more than you need and *too big for...* are two different things. No rifle is "too big" for anything, but at 500 yds, an elk won't be able to tell much of a difference between a 300 WSM, WM or RUM. At a 1000 yds, there is a difference.

Cheers,

Mark

Not in response to any statement in particular. And not so much around here, but in the general hunting public you here that a lot. Seems that a lot of people think that 30cal is too large for deer size and smaller. For years I got funny looks when I told people that I was shooting antelope with 180's out of an -06.

And I meant "not too big". Different than "too much". Can't you here the voice inflection in my typing?

Steve

300WM i have yet to see that cartridge fail, ive seen a few elk taken at 1000yd with the 300wm and it kills them deader than dead. Shot placement is key no matter what caliber of rifle you shoot. And as far as accuracy i know a smith that builds a ton of 300wm and every single shoots jaw dropping groups and brass life is good regardless of what you here. My smith is reloading the same batch of brass for the 10th time . The 300 WM is what ill be using for elk this year. Dont let the Mag mania fool you. The 300wm is IMO a cartridge that does not get as much credit as it deserves. plus the benefit of the 300wm is a way longer barrel life. This cartridge will serve you very well. trust me.

Not in response to any statement in particular. And not so much around here, but in the general hunting public you here that a lot. Seems that a lot of people think that 30cal is too large for deer size and smaller. For years I got funny looks when I told people that I was shooting antelope with 180's out of an -06.

And I meant "not too big". Different than "too much". Can't you here the voice inflection in my typing?

Steve

Yesterday I got a funny look when I told a guy who was shooting next to me that I was taking my 300 WSM antelope hunting this weekend :)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.