7mm-300win thoughts

I know I am in the minority here but my favorite 7's are the:

7SAUM - Also Throated long 180's can be pushed to 3150 pretty easy and it's just so darn efficient. If you need more than this don't waist your time with a 7 go to a big 30 and end it.

You're not in a minority, The 7 SAUM is tremendously accurate with either the 168 or 180 Berger. Mine shoots so well I use it to test other scopes that I'm concerned aren't holding impact. Five shots is all it takes to know, two to sight in and three to shoot a group.

6-8 months? what are they doing mining the steel? With all that said I'm rebarreling a STW to a 7 Rem Mag. It's all I need but not what others need. I take mine to my Benchrest gunsmith and 1-2 weeks its done and shoots like a Benchrest rifle.

It's not gonna take that long to build but by the time I get the house re carpeted it will be that long before I finish paying the other half and getting good the scope and ammo loaded for it. I didn't know dang carpet was that **** high. It's costing a Lil more then the gun with a huskamaw scope and 20 rd loading for it.. it's a Lil over 7200 for the carpet. I gotta make the wife happy lol I hate the couch ha

i shoot a 7 saum also, with the 168 berger classic, it is the most accurate rifle i have ever had,,,
i run 4831ssc at avout 2960, longest shot on game i ever made was a coyote at 963 with this setup, its actually my go to coyote gun, it rarely misses,,,

i am putting together a lightweight 7mm mag right know hopefullt 7.5 lbs all up, we will see,,,,

7SAUM - Also Throated long 180's can be pushed to 3150 pretty easy and it's just so darn efficient. If you need more than this don't waist your time with a 7 go to a big 30 and end it.

You're not in a minority, The 7 SAUM is tremendously accurate with either the 168 or 180 Berger. Mine shoots so well I use it to test other scopes that I'm concerned aren't holding impact. Five shots is all it takes to know, two to sight in and three to shoot a group.

6-8 months? what are they doing mining the steel? With all that said I'm rebarreling a STW to a 7 Rem Mag. It's all I need but not what others need. I take mine to my Benchrest gunsmith and 1-2 weeks its done and shoots like a Benchrest rifle.
Truc, is there anything left of the stw barrel you are taking off, and if so are you selling it? I've always had to push a 7rem harder than I like to for performance and have gone with the 7stw and 7rum after a few different 7rem's. If I didn't need my 300 win brass for a 300 win (novel idea, huh...using 300 win brass in a rifle with a 30cal. bore:D) I'd probably look at the 7x300 win also.

I have one now that is just an animal. 3252fps with the 168 vld hunting. It IMHO is the most you can get out of a 7- before giving up lots of recoil or powder to get it. I'm taking mine to a bench rest match Sunday and wouldn't be shocked if at worst its in the top 10% of scores.

It's not gonna take that long to build but by the time I get the house re carpeted it will be that long before I finish paying the other half and getting good the scope and ammo loaded for it. I didn't know dang carpet was that **** high. It's costing a Lil more then the gun with a huskamaw scope and 20 rd loading for it.. it's a Lil over 7200 for the carpet. I gotta make the wife happy lol I hate the couch ha

Know what you mean about keeping the wife happy, but..... you're going about it the wrong way. I have my wife convinced I like sleeping on the couch so much so that she never uses that as leverage. In the 15 yrs we've been married never once have I slept on the couch.

I have one now that is just an animal. 3252fps with the 168 vld hunting. It IMHO is the most you can get out of a 7- before giving up lots of recoil or powder to get it. I'm taking mine to a bench rest match Sunday and wouldn't be shocked if at worst its in the top 10% of scores.

I have several questions, where is the match, what distance is the match, and what discipline is it. I'm involved with IBS and call the score matches at Thurmont Conservation and Sportsman Club. In that I shoot a 30 BR and every once in a while I'll take it to a group shoot. Love the way the PPC guys laugh when they hear what I'm shooting right up until the time I take wood. My last outing was the first time shooting it as a LV and took 3rd out of 40 shooters with a .2154 agg.
The thing I like about the 7 SAUM and the 30 BR is so far I've never seen it change its tune and I'm not talking about singing either :)

I have several questions, where is the match, what distance is the match, and what discipline is it. I'm involved with IBS and call the score matches at Thurmont Conservation and Sportsman Club. In that I shoot a 30 BR and every once in a while I'll take it to a group shoot. Love the way the PPC guys laugh when they hear what I'm shooting right up until the time I take wood. My last outing was the first time shooting it as a LV and took 3rd out of 40 shooters with a .2154 agg.
The thing I like about the 7 SAUM and the 30 BR is so far I've never seen it change its tune and I'm not talking about singing either :)

Ridgway rifle club vbr long range silhouette. 850, 900, 950 and 1000 yards. Almost everyone uses full bench rest set ups I am using my 7saum in an A5 stock with a bipod.
Isn't it fun being the different one in the croud

I got tired of wild cats and the associated extra tasks. Also got tired of bellowing magnums and barrel burners. I'm back to the ol' 7 Rem Mag shooting 180 gr Bergers. Does everything I want it to.
That said, if Berger does introduce a 195 gr VLD bullet I'll be stepping up to a bigger case.

I shot 168's in my 7 mags for a long time, until I started shooting 180's. I have found them to be a far superior LR bullet.

I tend to agree with Dragman on the 7mm topic. Possibly because we both hunt in
PA. Ive been using a 7x300 Weatherby for long range hunting for over 40 years now.
That cartridge came to be after Hornady introduced the 162 gr bt match bullet. That would have been about 1970. Ballisticly its about identicle to an 7stw. Ive also owned a few 7 rems. Mind you im strictly a hunter, not a shooter per se. Weve no doubt killed over 100 bucks in our camp using 7mms and mostly the 7x300 wby using the 162 hornady bullets. My longest personal kill to date is 1200 and small change with the 7x300/162.
I would not attemp another shot that long with any 7mm. My views and opinions are based on what i have observed and not what i like. If your a hunter, and the area you hunt has the potential of offering shots beyond 1000 yds id be bypassing the 7mm completly. Let the others point to the written words for various cartridges/bullets.
Bigger is better for long range hunting. You need both velocity and mass.
Dont be second guessing youself over gun choice, and dont worry about being called out for swatting flies with sledge hammers. For sure you wont be hearing about the one that got away with a bullet thru its gut.

My views and opinions are based on what i have observed and not what i like. If your a hunter, and the area you hunt has the potential of offering shots beyond 1000 yds id be bypassing the 7mm completly. Let the others point to the written words for various cartridges/bullets.
Bigger is better for long range hunting. You need both velocity and mass.
Dont be second guessing youself over gun choice, and dont worry about being called out for swatting flies with sledge hammers. For sure you wont be hearing about the one that got away with a bullet thru its gut.

Yobuck,

I have to respectfully disagree with this statement sir. Here is a bit of data for your bigger is better theory.

Conditions: 7500ft elevation 59* 30% Humidity

Energy:
7mm Rem Mag 162 Amax @ 2963 1000lb ft - 1250 yards
300 Win Mag 208 Amax @ 2900 1000lb ft - 1535 yards
7X300 Win 180 Berger @ 3200 1000lb ft - 1665 yards

Wind Drift per 5mph @ 1000 yards
7mm Rem Mag 162 Amax @ 2963 - 2.1 moa
300 Win Mag 208 Amax @ 2900 - 2.1 moa
7x300 Win 180 Berger @ 3200 - 1.8 moa

Now that being said the velocity's I used were my personal drop verified data to 1765 yards for my 7x300 and then hodgens published data for the others.

My point is that a bigger bullet does not mean more killing power down range in every case. It takes rifles in the 300 Ultra Mag and 30-378 Weatherby class to match the 7x300 for down range energy and wind bucking capability.

My point is that a bigger bullet does not mean more killing power down range in every case. It takes rifles in the 300 Ultra Mag and 30-378 Weatherby class to match the 7x300 for down range energy and wind bucking capability.

Now use my data from my proven 300 win mag with a 215 Berger. Bc of .696 G1 and MV of 3035. It will be a good comparison to your 7-300 since your field data for the 7-300 and mine are the same.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts