7mm 197gr SMK...anyone heard anything/

Longshotjames

I saw on midway that Sierra has a 7mm 197gr Matchking that is "coming soon". Does anyone know know anything about this bullet or when it should be available?
Thanks
James

****...I wonder what the twist recommendation on that will be. I know the 183 SMK was 1-8. Couldn't believe it didn't catch on faster.

Website says 1-7.5 twist. G1 BC is 0.780 @ 2300 fps and above 0.765 between 1550 fps and 2300 fps 0.711 @ 1550 fps and below.

Like the 183 SMK it has an additional tipping process to make the points more uniform and improve BC.

Krieger and Bartlein will make them. Krieger charges a few dollars more for a non standard twist and will only make them in a 4 groove. Bartlein will make a 5r. I don't know if they charge more.

Pac-nor also makes a 7" twist in the 5groove. I want to try these bullets myself at some point. The 284win might be a bit underline with that weight, but why not.

Kyle

Edd,

Bartlein will make a 5r. I don't know if they charge more.

No, they don't charge extra for a specific twist rate.

"The uniformity in our barrels and finish of the bores is second to none. Our rifling machines are so accurate, we can carry the twist rate to the 4th decimal point (example: 11.3642). The process of Single Point Cut Rifling is the most stress-free way to rifle a barrel. The twist is exact, whereas other forms of rifling can have variances due to the process they use. Also, the bore and groove dimensions are more uniform."

You can also count on them to test those new bullets when they become available so they know what twist rates to suggest.Regards.

Edd,

No, they don't charge extra for a specific twist rate.

"The uniformity in our barrels and finish of the bores is second to none. Our rifling machines are so accurate, we can carry the twist rate to the 4th decimal point (example: 11.3642). The process of Single Point Cut Rifling is the most stress-free way to rifle a barrel. The twist is exact, whereas other forms of rifling can have variances due to the process they use. Also, the bore and groove dimensions are more uniform."

You can also count on them to test those new bullets when they become available so they know what twist rates to suggest.Regards.

They also say "Non-standard twist, add $20.00".

Sierra tested it and says it needs a 7.5" or faster twist. They are also showing them to be available.

They also say "Non-standard twist, add $20.00".

Yikes! I've never seen that and I know that I've never paid that either but I've ordered some doozy twist rates for clients. Volume must speak to something I guess. I was running 700-900 barrels a year with very few 'non-standard' twist rates.

Regards.

I talked t the factory this week, he said they would be releasing some this month, as far as loading data, he couldn't give me anything on the 197's or the 183 MK's!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.