7mm 175 smk?

Brien

has anyone had any luck getting these bullets yet or know where i can find them?
does anyone know what twist is going to be required to stabilize them? i would think these would be great in the 7ultra mag...!
Brien

Hi BTM
Midsouth has them. I ordered a couple hundred and should receive them any day now.
and will post the results on their preformance in my 7WSM when I get around to it.

As far as twist,I would suggest the 1-9 but at 7mm ultra mag velocities they probably would stabalize in slower twist.

order soon because
Midway had them about two weeks ago but they
are out of stock already.
308nate

Anyone have an accurate B.C for this bullet in the 3000-3200 fps range?

I have a customer wanting to build a big 7mm and this bullet looks pretty nice as an option for him to use.

Woul dappreciate any testing data you get from shooting this bullet.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Talked to a Sierra tech about this bullet. His comment from those doing 'special' testing were they were getting accuracy in the 4's. The tech seemed excited about these results. YIKES!!!

Personally, I will lean to the 162gr SST. All the bullet and probably equal/higher BC then the 175grMK. At least I know these Hornady's are capable of shooting in the 1's

Jerry

I received my .175gr.smk a couple of days ago and so far I am dissapointed
frown.gif
I weighed 10 of them and they varied five tenths of a grain
mad.gif

so I grabbed 10 162gr. Hornady Amax bullets and weighed them. they varied zero tenths
shocked.gif

anyway I loaded up the 175 smk's with 71 grains of Magpro and headed out to my range
I cronied 5 of them, average velocity 3150 ES 24 fps.Then I shot a 5 shot group at my 700yd. target and was dissapointed.... 5-1/2" of vertical spread 1-1/2" of horiz. spread!
I don't necessarily blame it all on the bullets so I'm off to try A3100 and Retumbo and back off on some Magpro powder.But it's looking like I will end up back with the Hornady 162

fiftydriver,
I'll see what I can do about an aactual BC
I was in kind of a hurry the other day but it appears to be better then they state.
good shootin'
308nate

I tried the 175 gr. sierra in my 280 ai. accuracy was very good but shooting them at 1000and 1500yards they have a lot more drop then the 162 gr a-max, i will stay with the a-max. My rifle has a 9 twist.

[ 09-24-2004: Message edited by: REM700 ]

Rem700,

Do you think the drop is from the lower launch velocity or a lower B.C.

What velocitys are you getting comparing the two bullets in your 280 AI?

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Fiftydriver. I am using 60 grs of rl-22 with the 162 a-max at 3050fps. I loaded the 175 with 59 grs rl-22 at 2975fps. At 1000 yards the 175 dropped 3 moa more than the 162 and 1500 yards 6 moa more and had to use more windage at 1500. I think it is due to a lower bc more than lower launch velocity. I will be in montana on a hunting trip for 2 weeks at the end of october early november. If i get a chance i will stop in at your shop.

Fiftydriver, the results confirm what I have been seeing in my own shooting. The poly tipped Hornady bullets have real world BC's way above their printed values.

I am not sure if this is mostly due to the plastic tip or overal bullet design. I have compared these in a variety of cals to the traditional HP match and VLD bullets. In every case, the Hornady's just fly flatter, especially when ranges stretch out.

308nate, Rem700: I would suggest you give the 162gr SST a try. It is even longer then the Amax so should have a higher BC. The Amax is listed at 0.625 and we know it flies better (probably like a 0.7). My guess is that the 162SST are over 0.7, probably closer to 0.8/0.9. Pretty amazing stuff.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.