7mm 168 gr Berger VLD Range Report!!!

wildcat338

Well first of all id like to thank everyone who replied to my other thread about load info...Thanks Guys!!!!

I tried some loads today in my 7mm RM I worked up some loads with both retumbo and 7828ssc powder. My best group with Retumbo was the 71gr load it was just under .5" with a ES 20 and SD 14 Vel avg was 2924. this was for 3 shots.

I was happy with that then I shot the 7828ssc loads. I only made a couple loads with this powder the first was the best. 64.5gr .066" 3 shot group with an ES 15 and SD 7 Avg vel. 2887. The 65gr load opened up a little but still under an inch and the last load was 65.3gr .163" 3 shot group ES 4 SD 2 Avg vel. 2958.

I am extremely happy with how these have done so far I will work with these and hopefully prove to myself that these groups werent freaks of nature :)

Thanks Again everyone for your unselfish help I hope one day I will be able to return the favor.

Aloha,
Dave

Dave,
Thanks for that update. I'm in the process of prepping brass right now to load up some 168gr Bergers. Got them in the mail Friday but haven't been able to get to the bench! I have a can of regular IMR 7828, do you think that'll work just and good? What rifle are you shooting (i.e. barrel length)? Thanks, JohnnyK.

Johnnyk, No problem buddy just thought the info might help someone and also to give an update to those who shared thier info with me. I remember you saying you had some on the way.

I dont have much experience with the 7828ssc actually only second time ive used it. Ive read that the 2 powders were interchangeable as far as load data BUT ive also heard some people say there's a difference between the two. Maybe somone has more experience with the Super Short Cut powder and can shed some light on it. So as always start well below and work up. With that said I think reg. 7828 would work just fine.

Im shooting a Sauer 90 w/ 26" barrel its a bone stock factory rig. Hope this helps!!!

Dave

Dave, I read they were interchangable. About barrel: trying to get a feel for what kinda velocity I should be getting. My rifle is 700 P with 26" also. I tried some 168gr SMK about a year ago with RL22 and was not pleased with lack of accuracy. All groups ran just over 1" at 100yds. Seems velocity was between 2800 - 2900 fps. Hopefully the Bergers will fly better with 7828. JohnnyK.

Johnnyk, What im getting is almost Identical to what your talking about other than the accuracy part. But thats pretty much what my velocities are running mid-2800 to mid 2900 fps. The 7828 had better velocity than the retumbo for my rifle anyway. Well goodluck with your loads and keep us posted on how they work out.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.