7mm-08 vs. .338 Federal

That's funny. I was looking at the reloading charts for the 340 Weatherby right after I left my last reply. I also kinda like the Vangaurd II in SS.

Right now I live in KY, and I don't have much of a chance of shots over 300 yds. My plans are to sell this place within the year and move out to the Laramie area of WY. There I will have white tail, mule deer, elk, prong horn, mountain goat, and long shots. AND...less annoying neighbors!!! :D

/shrug, then again you could do an Improved 50BMG case and neck it down to .375 .... I would bet it would get it done nicely. In fact, I would bet Mr. Allen would even be able to whoop something like that up for you gun) ||

I hear whispers there are folks doing work on a rather nice .375 VLD type bullet... :)

Good shooting,
Gary

I will say it since no one else has, 338 SIN short action and the horsepower of a 338 RUM, lights out for african plains game and puts a 300 win mag to shame!

In the case your stating, I would be very comfortable going with a .308 unless your hunting a place where .308s aren't allowed. I would also feel fine buying a .338 Fed. I think its a pretty neat cartridge, and should be a great med. to lower velocity hunting cartridge. Everyone agrees it's a 300 yd. or less round. I've been looking at .338 Feds for a while, and have never found the right one. Looking for a Kimber 84 with really good wood. Hard to come by.

Hi every one. I am a fairly new member, and have not been on here in a long time. I would like to say that in Oct. of 2011 I bought a 7mm08 with 9 1/2 twist. I sighted it in with two loads. One is the Hornady 162 gr. SP with 38 gr. of R15, and the other is with the 140 gr. Barnes TSX with 39 gr. of R15. They both group well and similarly. I use the 162 SF for practice and plinking. I use the 140 Barnes for hunting. I bagged a deer with it. It was about 110 yds. I hit the deer in the rib cage, it hunched up in the middle, and then dropped in it's tracts. It was exactly like in the Barnes DVD. The lungs were gone, and all of the meat was undamaged. I'm happy with my 7mm08. I actually like that case. I went out and bought the same rifle in 243 Win. I use the 87 gr. V Max and 36 gr. of W748 in it. This is my Carry varmint Gun. I used to have a 308 Win. but I never worked up a load for it. But I think that my 7mm08 will be my main gun for medium and large game. I'm one who believes in the 300 yd rule. I don't think that shooting an animal at 600-800 yds is real hunting. It's more like sniper shooting. I like stalking and tracking, and waiting. So except for elk and moose and grizzly, my 7mm08 is going to be it.

Tom, I am pleased you have found satisfaction with your 7mm-08 but as to your comments at the end of your post, to each his own. I find it odd that you would come on to a forum called Longrangehunting and be critical of the main paradigm of this site. Perhaps this site is not for you. I like the stalk close style as well as the long range stuff, as for you, maybe you should try not to be so self limiting.

Hi Garys4307,

Well I was more interested in the 7mm08/338Fed aspect than the long range. I'm not limiting myself because I can hit non-living targets at long range. I just find it to be unfair to the animal and not very sporting, to shoot a living thing from 1/2 mile away. That sort of thing is for war, against other humans that are trying to turn your country into theirs. I have been reading a lot of articles lately in hunting magazines, where the writer agrees that hunting should be tracking, stalking, and sitting and waiting.

But anyway, the 338 Fed is not good for any type of long range shooting. The 7mm08 is very good for long range, as long as one remembers to keep the size of the animal in mind. Then after that is the 300 and 338 Win, and the 300 and 325 WSM, and then the 300 and 338 RUM. I've been thinking that my next rifle might be a 325 WSM, which is actually an 8mm.

Anyway, I didn't mean to insult anybody. I was just expressing my views and thoughts. There are not many blogs out there for medium range hunting. If there were, they'd be talking about 30/30's and 357's, and 44 mags. not 7mm08's and 260 Rem's and the like. My neighbor hunts with a Rossi 92 in 44/40 with cast lead bullets. He's good with it.

This will be my last comment on this blog. As you pointed out, it is not for me. But I do like long range shooting, but at inanimate objects.

Ciao every one,
Vito AKA Tom

If your intent on riding a bicycle, you wont get much sympathy trying to compare it to a motorcycle.

Keep reading the forums. You may eventually figure out the fascination with the intricacies in the science of accurate shooting. Which is what long range shooting is about. Beware, its not a quick study, we are all still learning.

Good Luck!

Hi every one. I am a fairly new member, and have not been on here in a long time. I would like to say that in Oct. of 2011 I bought a 7mm08 with 9 1/2 twist. I sighted it in with two loads. One is the Hornady 162 gr. SP with 38 gr. of R15, and the other is with the 140 gr. Barnes TSX with 39 gr. of R15. They both group well and similarly. I use the 162 SF for practice and plinking. I use the 140 Barnes for hunting. I bagged a deer with it. It was about 110 yds. I hit the deer in the rib cage, it hunched up in the middle, and then dropped in it's tracts. It was exactly like in the Barnes DVD. The lungs were gone, and all of the meat was undamaged. I'm happy with my 7mm08. I actually like that case. I went out and bought the same rifle in 243 Win. I use the 87 gr. V Max and 36 gr. of W748 in it. This is my Carry varmint Gun. I used to have a 308 Win. but I never worked up a load for it. But I think that my 7mm08 will be my main gun for medium and large game. I'm one who believes in the 300 yd rule. I don't think that shooting an animal at 600-800 yds is real hunting. It's more like sniper shooting. I like stalking and tracking, and waiting. So except for elk and moose and grizzly, my 7mm08 is going to be it.
HI, Nice to meet yah, GO to another short range hunting site.Sorry to be so rough on you,That caliber is what my friends buy for their daughter to shoot, the boys get the ol' mans 308 norma mag, and that aint no joke. Buy the way I got lucky and sneaked up on a 6x6 and shot it @ 3 yrds, and the one @ 9 yrds.....get the idea

I just read this post and was kinda thinking. How far is long range and what size bullet makes you a long range shooter? I have a 7mm-08 and enjoy shooting it 3 or 4 days a week. I only have a max range of 250yrds. out my back door. I can shoot 1/2 to 3/4" groups most every time I shoot my pop gun.I got my pee shooter so I could burn thru the loads i make. I also hunt with the tiny little 7mm-08, have shot several Tx. deer and many good size hogs. Darned thing is they all die as if shot by a buds 7mag,444,300ultra,or any other man gun.I have shot many of the more manly rounds but I shoot my girls gun a lot better. Funniest thing is most of my friends do too!! I am looking into the 338 fed also, maybe I will get to go elk hunting some day. I am new to this site and hope to not step on many toes, but don't give biased advise to a guy asking for input. 7mm-08 has a proven record, 338 fed is pretty new but does offer more energy than the 7mm-08 and is a good step up in power for hunting larger game. Your gun size my not be the size for others for many reasons. Give input on what is asked,go off on a guy cuase his choice is not the same as yours.

My go to (put meat in the freezer) gun is a 270, my daughters gun 7mm-08 and sweet rifle it is. Now that, that is out of the way, I also come here for just exactly what this site promotes.gun)

This is a site dedicated to the long range game..... So While I do like the long range game, as well as trying to stalk as close as possible. The comment

garys43077 Re: 7mm-08 vs. .338 Federal
Tom, I am pleased you have found satisfaction with your 7mm-08 but as to your comments at the end of your post, to each his own. I find it odd that you would come on to a forum called Longrangehunting and be critical of the main paradigm of this site. Perhaps this site is not for you. I like the stalk close style as well as the long range stuff, as for you, maybe you should try not to be so self limiting.

Is spot on. Every year I hunt both methods, for the guys that think long range is easy or it's not hunting because your not putting out the effort to sneak, is ...well just ignorant to the time, effort, and planning that have to go into long range before hand. Just to make that one shot from waythehellngone out there successful. Just on pure effort alone I'll pick the stalk every time, it's just easier. Long range is hunting, it just has a whole different set of requirements that many folks just can't wrap their heads around.

Nikontom, there's a site I visit very often good guys there and a very wide variety of tastes and style, but all wholly committed to the promotion of handloading, it's called "reloaders nest" cmon over and say hi :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.