7mm-08 A.I. Load data ?

TG-5150

Hello,
Am brand new to the forum but have been reading posts on this site for a few years.
We Have a 7mm-08 A.I., 1:9 twist 24''. We intend to hunt long range Mule Deer and Antelope with it. The bullets we intend to shoot will be 160 gr. (ish) vld's.
would love to know what others have found useful, this gun is going to be very accurate. It fire forms Federal Fusion factory rounds 5/8" at 100 yds.
Thanks for any help

the powder on hand is H-4831sc, Varget, 760, IMR 4064 and 4350. bullets on hand are 168 Berger vld's, and Hornady 162 SST's

I would try the H4350 and forget about the SST's . Theres much better offerings available, many from Berger, Nosler Accubonds, ELD M and X .

I would try the H4350 and forget about the SST's . Theres much better offerings available, many from Berger, Nosler Accubonds, ELD M and X .

Hello Sir, the 4350 0n hand is IMR. We really hope it likes the Berger's. Redding Competition dies should be here soon. Am learning lots reading articles on this site, there is much to learn and advance from on this site.
Will see if the local shop has any H4350 on hand, thanks :)

20150711_114323.jpg
20150711_152337.jpg

This is the rifle. Its built on a Savage action. A friend of mine did the re-barrel, bolt face, trigger job and in-letting on stock. The barrel is from Excalibur Barrels in Montana.
The picture of the 4 shot group was also done by him with factory Remington Core-Lokts. I was not present for this, but after shooting it myself have little doubt it was a hoax.
it will soon get a better stock. (this used to be a Savage Stevens 200 in .308)

Last edited:
Varget or CFE-223 would work best for that weight range. Believe it or not, you can also use Hodgdon LeverEvolution powder. It's just slightly slower than Varget, and directly below CFE-223 on the burn rate chart. It sounds random, but it would work, and that powder has proven to be pretty temp-stable. The only issue is that it uses VERY small grains, like magnum pistol powder, and it's not good to run it through an electronic powder measure like the Chargemaster. If you are hand-weighing each charge, or using a manual beam scale setup, then it will work fine.

Also, to get the best accuracy from Bergers, you will want to be sure they're seated around .015" off the lands.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.