7mag primer.

Fan of the 1911

I've been working up some loads for my new to me Sendero 7mag. I noticed the lee manual has a large rifle primer listed, and the other manuals and Hodgon on line has it listed magnum. I'm wondering if it matters much? Do you use magnum primers, or not? gun)

I'm using magnum primers now but my supply is down to 125 or so.
I was caught off guard by both the purchase of the 7 mag, and the shortage of reloading components. I think I have 20,000 long rifle primers.
I may have to try to find magnum primers.
The last couple of gun shows I have been to I've not run across federal primers of any kind in quite some time.

Funny thing is, around here Large Rifle (mainly for .308 reloading) became scarce so I stocked up. Now Magnums are hard as hell to find....

I wish these idiot hoarders would move on to shotguns.....I could care less about a shortage for anything related to them. LOL

You may be surprised, but with many loads you will get tighter groups and lower ES with standard (fed 210) vs. Magnum (fed 215). I have seen this in several 7 Mags using Retumbo, and H4831sc.

Joel

Thanks for the info. The main problem I have is most of my primers are Winchester, I do have a new box of remington, but I was going to try to use the winchesters first as they are about 5 years or so old. I have a guy here at work that's going to trade me 500 long rifle for 500 magnum but I think they are Winchester also. That will get me thru load development. I might get lucky and find some before I finish up.

I have found the Win WLR primers to be the best in two 7mags. The WLRs are a little hotter than the 210s but not as hot as the 215s. Velocity is much more consistent with the WLRs over the 215s in my rifles.

That's awesome, I'm going to try to do better in the future. As far as keeping supplies on hand. I've gone to marking my powder with the date. Not that I have a bunch of it. I try to keep a pound I'm loading out of and a pound ahead. I had been going to the gun shows in the past and just picking up a box of 1000 of this or that.
I have ended up with enough magnum pistol primers to do me the rest of my life most likely. Almost no small rifle, or pistol primers.

I have cleaned up and moved my reloading to make it easy to tinker with and have organized things greatly now when components become available I will at least know what I need and more importantly if I do have it, where its at.
Thanks all, William.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.