7m08 or 308 ?

Mud I live in georgia on the coast and our whitetails are tiny they the same where you're at?
100-130 lb does are average. Bucks are larger. But people up north think our deer are "the size of dogs". It don't bother me. I mainly hunt does for meat. But if a big buck walks out, I sure ain't gonna pass it up. :D

Out does in south tx are always smaller than up north. 90-100 lbs is pretty typical for us during season after the acorns fall and the cold hits. 70-80lbs isnt uncommon for us and will probably be pretty typical this year.

A 200 lb doe is like a unicorn for us.

Out does in south tx are always smaller than up north. 90-100 lbs is pretty typical for us during season after the acorns fall and the cold hits. 70-80lbs isnt uncommon for us and will probably be pretty typical this year.

A 200 lb doe is like a unicorn for us.
The ONLY 2 times you'll see a 200 lb does in the south, is 1) in a high-fenced private ranch, and 2) on TV.

Deer in my part of new York are pretty large I have shot doe over 200 pound before my largest bucks is 16 point non typical at 263 pounds dressed out

The combos I mentioned for my 708 with a 22" pipe at 300yds (adjusted to sea level, not sure your elevation) for the 139-145gr loads are still moving 2200-2300fps and carrying 1500-1600ftlbs. Plenty even for a big deer (assuming good shot).

Did you ever clarify if you reload or not?

Yes I reload I lived in North Alabama and the deer were large there to does any one have experience with the heavy 7mm bullets for a 7mm 08
I have some Berger 168's and 180's loaded up, but haven't been able to test yet.

If they perform like my 210 VLD's in my .308 Win, then you should be pleasantly surprised. They don't move fast, but they pack a hell of a punch.

Yes I reload I lived in North Alabama and the deer were large there to does any one have experience with the heavy 7mm bullets for a 7mm 08

I've just started working up the 145gr LRX hoping it a good compromise of speed/ballistics/rugged construction versus going heavy cup and core. Not sure if that fits your desire at all.

W/O alot of load data I initially just ran .5gr increments of varget from 40.5gr up, at 42gr I had primer blow by (I want to say velocity was something like 2830 turf) and I stopped right there (I unloaded the 42.5 and 43gr loads I had, I assumed I'd likely need to but brought them along in case). 40.5gr gave me 2775fps. I'm using that as an upper limit going forward for my gun/load. So I've loaded a .1gr ladder from 39.5-40.5gr to send down range next. I'm hoping something accurate will be in there and delivery 2750-2775 turf, we'll see. Need to get out on the range soon.

Any bullet wight I use will still kill deer know problem just like to try the heavy ones. I have a 1in9 twist that should help how makes a reel tuff bullet som thing that won't blow up when u hit a deer I like to try to save meat most times use a neak shots

Thus my inclination towards the 145gr LRX, I figure that will hammer something via a high shoulder shot and due to mono construction should limit how much meat is trashed and avoids lead spraying everywhere as it punches bone so I don't have as much concern taking meat up close to the shot. The boarder line meat that has a bit of bloodshot in it but is mostly good can go towards some sausage that will be eaten sooner than later. My preference with lead core is not to eat that (personal choice).

Any bullet wight I use will still kill deer know problem just like to try the heavy ones. I have a 1in9 twist that should help how makes a reel tuff bullet som thing that won't blow up when u hit a deer I like to try to save meat most times use a neak shots
If you have some 180 VLD's, seat them up near (or against, depending on how it likes them), and load up some Varget in Nosler brass, and do a little load development. You'll never know till you try.

I have to take a look at them 145s I was all ways told to shoot the shoulder then they can't run and have never lost a deer from doing that but u lost lots of meat and I used cheap core lokes

I have to take a look at them 145s I was all ways told to shoot the shoulder then they can't run and have never lost a deer from doing that but u lost lots of meat and I used cheap core lokes
Shoot them in the dimple right behind the shoulder. It will take out both lungs, and more-often-than-not, the heart too. And you don't lose any meat. Just rib meat, and there ain't much of nothing there on deer, anyway. We never save the ribs.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.