7m08 or 308 ?

puggy

Hi I am looking for a barrel for my remmy 700 stainless like to find a like new take off or a new shilen short chambered barrel. But I think I'd like to keep it 7mm 08 or should I look for a 308 or one of the other 308 family like to see what u guys think. Thanks troy.

You didn't state your purpose of the rifle, but I'd go 7-08. Flatter shooting than the 308 unless you plan to shoot the heavies in a 308. Tons of bullet choices for 7mm. If hunting it will do all you would want in no. america.

Someone will be along soon to tell you to get a 260. They're really not that much different than a 7-08. If you don't reload, a 260 has less on the shelves in my area vs. 7-08. 308 is probably better yet if you don't reload.

If you reload the 7-08 will work well for you but if not you'll probly have to shoot hunting ammo at targets which could get expensive. I'm sure there's some target ammo somewhere but there's plenty for the 308. If you load though then whichever barrel you find first will work. Good luck!

IMO

If you load your own, 7-08. Otherwise 308.

Midway sells Shillen prefits.

Lots of other prefits. Just depends on your budget.

Take off 308 is a of course a bet but because of the popularity many good factory barrels have shown at my range. Sub 1/2 moa factory guns after floating and bedding.

x2 on what everyone said. My buddy's factory savage 7-08 will put 3 different bullets into the same 0.5" hole.

I went 7-08, just because I reload and have more 7mm bullets around the bench. I load for 7mm mag, 7x57, and 7WSM. Keep it in the family. (I say I need a 7mm Weatherby but the good woman in my life says not before the deck is finished!)
If you have a 308 and a 300Win Mag or a 7mm-08 and a 7mm Rem Mag, you've got it covered.
cheers
Bruce

7mm-08. Less recoil, very accurate, will do anything .308 will (Except satisfy dyed-in-the-wool 30 cal. fans. :D) Kills deer at least as well. Actually does that as well as my 30-06. Unless you have to buy ammo in Timbuktu you can find good ammo. If you reload it's no sweat. All of the 7mm-08's I've shot did well with a variety of ammo. Only place I can see .308 has the edge are heavier-for-length available bullets, in case you want more throw weight for the game you hunt.
JMHO

I am a 7mm-08 fan, shoots lots well when reloading. My 22" sends 120gr prohunters at 2950 and 139gr spbt at 2830, 1" at 100yd grouping for 5 shots from my tikka. I am working on the 145gr lrx right now, hopefully will be accurate in the 2750-2775fps turf.

Bit more costly if buying ammo though.

I have them all. I prefer the 7.08 for hunting. A barrelnut and a pre-fit and you will be on your way. I reload, so finding ammo on the self does not matter to me.

I have owned both a 7mm-08 and several .308 rifles for MANY MANY years. Still have them. Both are excellent calibers, and when it comes to sub-500 yard hunting, you can't really go wrong with either one.

I went 7-08, just because I reload and have more 7mm bullets around the bench. I load for 7mm mag, 7x57, and 7WSM. Keep it in the family. (I say I need a 7mm Weatherby but the good woman in my life says not before the deck is finished!)
If you have a 308 and a 300Win Mag or a 7mm-08 and a 7mm Rem Mag, you've got it covered.
cheers
Bruce
I load my 7mm RM's to 7mm Wby velocities.....And if that just don't do it, my 2 7mm STW's sure will. :D

To me the 7mm Wby is pointless and expensive. If I can get matching velocities out of an inexpensive (comparatively) 7mm RM case, then why bother with spending $3.00 a piece on Wby brass?

Just my thoughts.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.