788 carbine 308 load

Years ago, I had a .223 and a LEFT hand .308. Like a dummy I traded them off. They were both shooters. The only problem with a 788 is that there are NO parts available for them if they break.

I had a hard time finding something my 788 liked and as a result it was a safe queen for many years. These are 1 in 10 twist and mine does not shoot light bullets at all. I got "hunting" accuracy with the 180 factory ammo.
A couple years ago I dusted it off and tried the 178 amax with Varget and suddenly it's a shooter! I have taken several deer with it since.
I tried the 208 amax just for kicks but the results weren't nearly as good accuracy wise.
It took a while but I found what "this" gun likes.

I took my 788 out yesterday and tried two loads. I loaded some 165 game kings over 43grains of varget and a regular remington large rifle primer. I loaded the barnes ttsx over 45 grains of varget and the same primer. The sierra grouped pretty nicely considering my shooting platform. The barnes load was no where near what i desired. The fps for the game king was around 2450 with the difference in loads being about 20 fps. The barnes load was about 120 feet faster on average and the recoil was noticeable. I'd settle on hunting with the game king but i'd like it to be a little flatter.

Most max loads are around 46 grains for the Varget and 165. Try loading at least 45 grains and you will be better. I get 2650 out of a short barrel and 165 Interlocks with 46 and a bit less with 45.

Well my experiment continues. I've recently come across 8lbs of 4064 so I bit. I also got ahold of some of the 125sst's. I tested tonight with the 165 gk and the 125 sst. If I can remember right, The sst was loaded over 44 grains of 4064 and it grouped ok. 2 touching and the other two were not moa (maybe do to shooter). I shot the 165 gamekings 2nd and I shot a better, they were in a nice little group. They were faster than the varget group from the other day, because they were right near the scope zero. The varget was 2-3" low. I think I may have loaded the game kings a little long, because the bolt was snug to close and a little firm to open. I enjoy working my skills so we'll change a few things and load up again. All the loads look like they'll accurately kill a deer. I'm just tinkering now trying to get a sub moa load.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.