$710 to get my wolf out of canada

188MULE

Just figured I'd post the total I paid to get my wolf out of Manitoba if any one was planning on shooting a wolf or bear in that province next year.

I believe bears have too go thru the say procedure as the wolves when wanting too bring back the hide or skull. Deer do not.

$150 flesh and salt hide. I did not have them tan it so my Tax could do what he needed too it.

$150 boil & bleach skull.

$410 Permits, & freight.

Total was $710.

Now to the Taxidermist, OUCH!!

The first two can be done at camp.We would shoot bears in AK AND drive back threw Canada,we prepped hides and skulls at camp.We had to get a special permit to carry threw.

sp6x6, Are you refering to the first two wolves you shoot in alaska? Since you killed the bear in the U.S. you wouldn't need the import permits, or would you?

CITES Export Permit - for more information (1-800-668-6767)
Persons exporting cougar, grizzly bear or wolf to points outside Canada must obtain a federal export permit issued in accordance with the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Flora and Fauna (CITES). In addition, provincial export permits must be obtained for exporting these species, except for tanned wolf skin.

U.S. Black Bear Hunters – A CITES export permit is no longer required for U.S. hunters to take their black bear hunting trophy home in a fresh, frozen or salted condition at the conclusion of their hunt. The trophy must be part of the accompanying baggage of the hunter who killed the animal. This exemption does not apply to taxidermized trophies. All provincial export requirements still apply and the trophy and documentation must be presented to Customs at the border when the hunters exit. Only the following parts of black bear may be exported: red meat, the hide with claws still attached, the head or skull with teeth attached, but no other parts. The export of the gall bladder or paws of black bearis prohibited. Note that the CITES permit exemption for fresh black bear trophies applies only to U.S. hunters returning home and not to other hunters. An individual must not sell or dispose of the black bear within 90 days after the date on which the CITES exemption is claimed.

Commercial Export of Wildlife to the US.
The United States Fish and Wildlife Service (US FWS) regulates commercial shipments of wildlife that enter or leave the U.S. In particular, taxidermists and outfitter-guides may experience difficulties transporting wildlife to the U.S. unless such businesses are licenced with the US FWS for transporting commercial shipments of wildlife across the U.S. border. For more information, contact the US FWS at 1-800-344-9453 or view information at:
http://www.fws.gov/le/ImpExp/Info_Importers_Exporters.htm

No CITES for black bears I see. Good deal!!! I should have checked & asked more questions too see if I had gotten my wolf tanned in Canada if I would have needed the CITES permit. I'll ask next time.

We needed cities permit on my last 2 black bear hunts in AK to drive back threw Canada.This was in about in '98. What I meant was we skiinned.salted and boiled skulls at camp. I have done a 100 + skulls,it is easy,stinks and a pain but ,hey.My kid has done a few also,has a bear in freezer now,to do.

Thats nuts, you really didnt plan well. I brought two bears and a wolf back, full hides, 3 skulls from Alberta for $100. I rolled up the hides flesh to flesh with the skulls in each hide, all 3 fit in a big plastic container that I duck taped closed. Filled out my Cites at the airport, took straight to the taxidermist.
all animals tur:Dned out great, bear rug, full body wolf, and half bear mount

Dalebow, The wolf was a bonus. I did not go up for wolf. I never even thought of the cites until I needed it. Enlighten me to the proper procedure or planning. It appears you know what you are doing. Were your skulls boiled and cleaned?

:Dwell that is a great bonus, if they had told me $710 if I got a wolf I would have paid it, wolves are totally cool critters to get. You can freeze everything and bring them home as checked backage. I took X large Dry Bags from cabelas to put each hide and skull in, they dont leak and really are perfect for you critters.
Truth be told if I had not got a bear but got a would I would have been happy.
Cant wait to see our mount.

The forms to import/export/transport from or through Canada are not real easy to fill out without a computer either. US Fish and Wildlife website will provide all of the forms but you have to fill them out and present them at all border checkpoints. Definetely be aware and fill out the forms before you go on your hunts.

Since I didn't expect to kill a wolf I didn't get the permits prior too going up. The outfitter hasn't had any one shoot a wolf on any of his hunts.
After the fact he started making the calls and was told it would be several months, which the Tax verified. End of Nov until the beginning of June. Six months and the Tax sent it as soon as the permits were received. When there is a chance in hell of killing a wolf I don't think its worth it too obtain the permits until its needed. In the unit we were hunting NonREs could shoot two wolves on their unfilled deer tag. The wolves trashed our hunt area the first two days we were up there so killing one of them made our hunt.

I also learned the hard way, but here is what I know, other animals may require it as well.

USFWS Form 3-177 allows for the transport of many trophy animals (bear, wolf, sheep, etc)

CITES is required for protected species such as Wolf, Grizzly, ETC. Black bears do not require CITES forms.

The forms have to be filled out with codes port of call, transportation codes and scientific names that the average person does not know, I was able to go to a local library and use their computers to find help tools online to make it fairly simplet to fill out and print the forms.

I was in an RV and arrived at the US entry point to find what I presume was a newer agent. She was very gruff and very nosy as well, she told her supervisor that my "dead bear" needed inspected, he handed her latex gloves and said go ahead, that was when she suddenly became much nicer and let me proceed thru without any hesitation. The Canadian customs agents were more interested in the fire arms and could care less about the bear.

I hope this helps someone on one of their future hunts.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts