700 yard .75 MOA 270 Encore group

Robbin

Finally got my custom dial from Leupold. What a great addition to a scope for 63 bucks. I shoot 400 a lot with my VH reticule. So I've got reticules for 2, 3, 4, 5 and 600 yards. The 2, 3 and 4 are right on the money but the 5 and 6 allow for more drop than my 130 grain Berger VLDS drop. I ordered a custom dial and it came it so when we were done at 400, I backed up to 600, then decided to see what it could do at 700 with my last 3 shots.
That was a 3 shot group at 700, cold barrel, 1st , 2nd and 3rd shot at that distance. I didn't shoot a bunch and find the range.
My custom dial on my Leupold worked perfect. I dialed to 7 (for 700 yards). I over corrected for the wind, went with 1 MOA left correction.
Should have gone with .5 MOA correction. The group is 5.5 inches, that's .75 MOA at that distance. The vertical spread was less than 2 inches. The wind died on one shot so I ended up with a 5.5 inch horizontal spread. It was only a 3 shot group, but not bad. Dead deer all three shots
....gun)

I don't know how to get pictures on here. I've tried in the past. Seems like I've got to post them somewhere else and link to them. But I don't have anywhere else to post them to.

I guess I should have listed the load.

130 grain Berger VLD
Nosler custom brass, light neck turn
52.3 grains of RE-17 with a MV of 3070
Rem Large rifle primer

I use very light neck tension..

TC nice quality riffles, I tired my ICON on 500 yards it produced 0.43 MOA or 2.17" group using .308

Last edited:
Glad to hear it. I'm playing with my 7mm Mag Encore and hope to mount a Leupold soon. Glad to hear the potential is there.

Glad to hear it. I'm playing with my 7mm Mag Encore and hope to mount a Leupold soon. Glad to hear the potential is there.

I would suggest a 1/4 MOA click, it doubles the amount of rise you can get in a single turn. I've got a 1/10 click. But when you settle on a load, order a custom dial from Leupold for 63 bucks. You dial the yardage and shoot.

You need the bullet weight, caliber, BC, muzzle velocity and zero range.
In two weeks you get a custom dial. :)

The work great, I have three, a 223, 308 and 270.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.