7 x 57 OR 280 remington??

Sully2

Im getting one of my Rem 700's re-barreled and was thinking of a caliber this approx size. I was told that 7 x 57 brass was tough to find..???

.280 case is a little larger..hence more powder but I think shooting animals of the proper size for these calibers it wont matter much.

What do you think? 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other as they say??

Nostalgic factor goes to the 7x57 and the great round factor goes to the 280 I shoot a 7x57 but would trade it for a 280 IMP yesterday.:D

I have a 7x57. A good friend of mine has a couple of .280's. They are both good cartridges. If building a rifle, I would go with the AI version of whichever cartridge you choose. The 7x57AI is supposed to get you .284 Win level performance. The .280AI is supposed to get you in 7mm Rem Mag territory.

Given that you intend to build on a Rem 700, which has a reputation for having a fairly long magazine compared to most factory rifles, the .280AI would seem to make the best use of the action/magazine length available.

In the end, though, I suppose it all boils down to what you really want in terms of performance from your rifle.

If you are hunting back east exclusively I'd go with the 7X57.

55 years ago back in PA the 7x57 was my first personal rifle. Only 170 grain factory rounds were available. It was deadly on deer in Penns woods.

Couldn't ask for better.

If you are headed west the the 280 would be the cartridge to get in a sufficiently long barrel.

The 7X57 is a great cartridge.

Im getting one of my Rem 700's re-barreled and was thinking of a caliber this approx size. I was told that 7 x 57 brass was tough to find..???

BTW, I meant to address the above issue in my previous post, but forgot. I don't know who is telling you this. Maybe that is true if you buy your ammo and components from Wal-Mart?

7x57 brass is easy to get online and quality brass is available from Norma. Another way to get good brass is to buy loaded ammo from Prvi Partizan. Use it for barrel break-in and you are left with pretty good brass for reloading. The loaded ammo is inexpensive, is not difficult to find for sale (I got mine at a Cabela's retail store) and can be had for less than the cost of Norma brass alone. If you go the 7x57AI route, fire form with the Prvi ammo and you are ready to load your AI rounds.

I say 280/280ai. You can download them to the mauser specs and upload to almost 7RM. You can have it all with one.

I might go the 280...but it will never be another "AI" anything. 25-06AI is what Im getting re barreled. The AI stuff is too much of a PITA

I dont think the .280 is too large for eastern whitetails and if Im ever able to find an outfitter outwest I think the 280 loaded up would do me fine out there...its just that I think about the old 7X57 and all it has done.???

I'd go with the standard .280 Remington just because it's easier and far cheaper in the long run. (dies and cases) But the 7x57AI is a fantastic round, and is an over achiever. Will fit in a mag well better than the .280 with very long over all length rounds. Still I think at best, it's going to be a little slower than what the .280 is. If your shooting 140 grain bullets, either one would work well. Yet if you move into the 160 grain and heavier stuff the .280 just moves away.
gary

I'd go with the standard .280 Remington just because it's easier and far cheaper in the long run. (dies and cases) But the 7x57AI is a fantastic round, and is an over achiever. Will fit in a mag well better than the .280 with very long over all length rounds. Still I think at best, it's going to be a little slower than what the .280 is. If your shooting 140 grain bullets, either one would work well. Yet if you move into the 160 grain and heavier stuff the .280 just moves away.
gary

My thoughts also. If I get lucky enough to stoke a round into the boiler room of a big moose, The 280 should shine then.

I might go the 280...but it will never be another "AI" anything. 25-06AI is what Im getting re barreled. The AI stuff is too much of a PITA

Nosler makes factory .280 A.I. brass... Easy as pie.

BTW, i still want those dies and brass and stuff we talked about a while back. Still holding out, and got the money in hand right now...Just say when. :D

.280 fan here. Buy 100 rounds of Norma brass when you first get the rifle and never look back.

My son has a custom .280AI. I have no desire for the wildcat version. There is a lot of flap about the old .280 specs vs. the newer nosler version. If you think about the AI version please work the details down to the the last item with whomever you purchase your dies and chamber reamer from to make sure they both match...:rolleyes:

Nosler makes factory .280 A.I. brass... Easy as pie.

BTW, i still want those dies and brass and stuff we talked about a while back. Still holding out, and got the money in hand right now...Just say when. :D

I want you to write it on the blackboard 1000 times..."NO AI'S".....lol

I gotta get the gun packed up and shipped out first...if I can get momma off my back with honey do's

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.