7 WSM results with 120g BTIPS

remingtonman_25_06

I got a chance to go shooting and test my friends rifle out. It is a Winchester shadow in 7 WSM. He wanted a yote bullet and I had a box of 120g BTips laying around. I got him some IMR-4350 and CCI BR-2's. Since there is hardly any data for the 7 wsm, I took it upon myself to do some homework. I looked at the 270 WSM data for 130g's and just compared a lot of the weight of grains they were using. I figured I would start at 60g for a starting point and worked up to 63g for max load. I loaded up 3 rounds each with each powder charge. 62g proved to be the most accurate giving 1" group at 100 yards, while scooting along at a mild 3200fps. I think I can go up in velocity, but 63g opened up to 1.25". His rifle is totally stock, no trigger job, which by the way freaking sucks, I hate 10lb triggers. I figured 1" 3 shot group at 100 yards for factory rifle will be good enough to bang a yote from around 500 yards away. I then went back home and loaded up the rest with 62g IMR-4350. I put a 300 yard zero on it and was surprised to see my 3 shot group at 300 yards was still shooting MOA or 3 inches. He was very happy with it. He is using a bushnell elite 3200 scope. With that load and a 300 yard zero, if you put the bottom thick part of the duplex on a 8" rock at 475 yards, you will be hitting any coyote, as I was smacking that rock.

Sometimes taking an average load at 100yds and shooting it out to 300yds can be a pleasant surprise. One of my favorite 300wby loads is the 180 barnes xbt (I'll have to try some tsx soon). It only shoots 1.5" at 100 but consisantly shoots nice round 3-3.5" at 300 yds. This with a 10x scope with regular duplex. I figure a nice fine haired 20x would cut that down some...and when you get round groups like those above you're pretty much landing about 1.5-2" away from the crosshair center anyhow! It's not the tack driver I always seem to read about on the forums but for me....with any kind of rest to 300yds it will hit what I'm aiming at.

Its a winchester black shadow. The synthetic stocked one with the nike looking sign, and the rubber dotted grips. No drop plate. Pretty cheap rifle. I think wal mart sells them for like 390. If he got the trigger worked on, I think that would cut at least a good 1/4" off the groups. Its more then accurate for him as he does not even really shoot past 300. I mainly just wanted to see what it would do, give me another caliber to tinker with anyways.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts