7 wsm, Coming or Going?

The Duke007

I know the 7 wsm was just intruduced a short while ago. Is this caliber going to die off? Or is it a dying trend? I am in the midst of building a new custom chambered in a 7 wsm. Should i worry about finding casings or worry about an awesome caliber eventually vanishing all together?

Given the gathering following of the various WSM combinations (as in folks will use a 7mm bullet in all 3 of the WSM cases - 7, 270, and 300) in competition, I think they are safe inthe long run. I would be a bit mroe concerned with the SAUM, as its be discontinued in virtually all manufacturers. Too bad as in most conditions it will run with the WSM on velocity and uses less powerder to do it. Good article here on the various 7mm cartridges (.284, .284 improved, SAUM, WSM). Rumor has it from th eLapua booth at SHOT this past January that Lapua has 300 WSM brass in the queue for maybe 2012 or 2013. Lots of folks take the 300 WSM brass and neck it down to 7mm.

7mm Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com

If you go SAUM (I personally think its a hell of a round), I would buy brass in bulk now and store it for future use to overcome the only possible hardship - finding brass a couple of years down the road.

JeffVN

I've noticed that some gun manufacturers have stopped listing the 7mmWSM all together. Although the 7mmSAUM has found a niche market with the specialty pistol folks. Just my $.02 worth.

Who cares----buy enough brass to last a couple of tubes and be done with it.

+1

I set out to buy at least 400 rounds of new brass for all of my rifles and over time watching
the sales for better prices I have finally reached my goal.

I have not worried about buying to much for any rifle because if I decide to sale the rifle
the brass will go with it.

The 7mm WSM is a very powerful round in a short action and IMO it will be around for a
long time so buy plenty of brass and bullets and have fun.

J E CUSTOM

I don't know anyone hunting with a 7 wsm outside the internet, never seen one on the shelves here. It is dead except for certain specialties, the 270 WSM and 300 WSM far over shadow it that I think it just had no chance, it will be around for ever in a 300 WSM parent case.

I would have to agree with len, I think as far as long range gos they have gotten more popular, as for the brass I like to use norma brass ,neck them down and fire form them,just so I can get better brass so you will always have that option

I don't know anyone hunting with a 7 wsm outside the internet, never seen one on the shelves here. It is dead except for certain specialties, the 270 WSM and 300 WSM far over shadow it that I think it just had no chance, it will be around for ever in a 300 WSM parent case.

Not trying to start an argument but I have built quite a few for hunters that don't use the
Internet and know quite a few that have the factory 7 WSMs and would not trade them for
any other cartrige.

I looked very hard at all of the Short Mags and decided on the 7 WSM based on bullet selection,
Brass. and total performance over all the rest. the only other WSM that I have considered is
the 325 WSM because it is a short action in a larger caliber(8mm)It is very close to the Ruger
RCM and the fact that the RCM is .338 cal I would choose it now.

I see no advantage in the 270 WSM because of less case capacity and fewer bullets to chose
from compared to the 7 WSM.

In popularity the 7 WSM is right up there with the 300 rum and ammo sales and brass availability
are a problem so I would say the 7 WSM is far from dead.

This is just my opinion and should not take anything away from the other WSMs.

J E CUSTOM

I think it is coming. I think it has recently gained popularity in F-Class. Lots of guys are moving to 7mm wsm from 6.5x284.

Moreover, I just ordered a custom gun in 7mm WSM.

Also, Winchester has at least 3 guns that are chambered in 7mm wsm. New for this year. They should be hitting the shelves in November.

Not trying to start an argument but I have built quite a few for hunters that don't use the
Internet and know quite a few that have the factory 7 WSMs and would not trade them for
any other cartrige.

I looked very hard at all of the Short Mags and decided on the 7 WSM based on bullet selection,
Brass. and total performance over all the rest. the only other WSM that I have considered is
the 325 WSM because it is a short action in a larger caliber(8mm)It is very close to the Ruger
RCM and the fact that the RCM is .338 cal I would choose it now.

I see no advantage in the 270 WSM because of less case capacity and fewer bullets to chose
from compared to the 7 WSM.

In popularity the 7 WSM is right up there with the 300 rum and ammo sales and brass availability
are a problem so I would say the 7 WSM is far from dead.

This is just my opinion and should not take anything away from the other WSMs.

J E CUSTOM

No argument, I was mainly talking my geographical area. Out of four places to buy factory ammo and rifles there is zero 7 WSM rifles or ammo available in my area while ammo and rifles in the 270 WSM and 300 WSM are common and with a good selection.
The .277 bullets have taken a good step forward this year, we now have 3 bullets with a BC .650 or better and there is more work in progress for some more. The 270 WSM is running a .650+BC bullet 100-150fps faster than the 7 WSM will run a similar BC bullet, with better brass selection it's a win win for me, but I'm heavily biased when it comes to 270 vs 7mm :D One good 270 bullet is worth three 7mm's aint it :D
I think the 7 WSM will live in some areas due to support with gunsmiths and local stores and is DOA in others for the same reason.

No argument, I was mainly talking my geographical area. Out of four places to buy factory ammo and rifles there is zero 7 WSM rifles or ammo available in my area while ammo and rifles in the 270 WSM and 300 WSM are common and with a good selection.
The .277 bullets have taken a good step forward this year, we now have 3 bullets with a BC .650 or better and there is more work in progress for some more. The 270 WSM is running a .650+BC bullet 100-150fps faster than the 7 WSM will run a similar BC bullet, with better brass selection it's a win win for me, but I'm heavily biased when it comes to 270 vs 7mm :D One good 270 bullet is worth three 7mm's aint it :D
I think the 7 WSM will live in some areas due to support with gunsmiths and local stores and is DOA in others for the same reason.

bigngreen, I too prefer the 270wsm and agree with you on your bullet comment I have both these calibers and both are comparible but I prefer the 270 wsm

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.