7 saum and h50bmg??

mtwood24

I am gonna start reloading for my 7 saum, and pretty much the only powder I can find is H50bmg. Now one of the recommended caliber for that powder is the 7 ultra mag. In my mind, I would the that the 7 short action ultra mag should get along with this powder too but I can't find anyone that has tried it. What of you guys think?

You'll never get enough powder in the case for any performance. Back down to H1000, IMR 7828, N570 range.

You should list where you're located, a lot of people will help out locally. RL 25 is another good powder for 180 class bullets, and was just available yesterday. I'm on my 5th saum, and I don't agree with the guys running H4350, and 4831, too fast in my opinion.

I am from Big Timber, MT. Powder doesn't show up too often here. I would like to try retumbo or h-1000 in it... 26 inch barrel with 180g Berger hybrids is the plan...

I agree with Milo on H4350 and H4831 being to fast for the saum with 180's. I have tried H4831, H1000, Ramshot Magnum, and Retumbo. Got some weird pressure signs with H4831, therefor I dropped that powder. H1000 and Retumbo worked really well.

My currently load is Retumbo, 180 hybrids, and Norma brass. All through a 24" barrel and 2900 fps. They are loaded for a long action and has a col @ 3.050". If I was going to try other powders, I would look at RL-25 or 7828SSC

I once used IMR 7828 with a 7-08. It was a compressed load with a 140 gr bullet. Velocity was around 2200 fps and was very accurate. I suppose if you keep the case full it would shoot but don't expect much for velocity. Use a magnum primer and give it a try.

I remember my friend's father talking about the days when they used the old H4831 surplus powder. They use do dunk a 30-06 case into the powder and scrape across the top of the case with a knife then seat a bullet. Not very precise but he said they got good accuracy and the powder was very inexpensive.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.