7 mm STW

GoodmanCPA

I first visited this site in December while considering a Hart barrel in 7 mm STW, converting a Remington Model 700 in 7 mm mag. I asked for guidance. I made the conversion to the Hart 24 inch barrel plus 2 inch muzzle brake, installed by Bob Hart. I used IMR 7828, 79.5 grains, Nosler 150 grain Ballistic Tip bullets. Bob recommended 80.0 grains, but that is way above the maximum in Nosler and other reloading manuals. So I worked up 13 incremental loads, 4 shots each. At one hundred yards, without careful aiming, all 4 shots of the 79.5 grain loads went into one hole! All the other incremental loads were under one inch! I am impressed. I used a Leupold 2.5 to 10 X 40 mm. VX-3 scope, resting on sand bags on a portable bench. Brass was Reminton and primers were Federal 215. Stock was a Bell & Carlson that Bob installed to replace the fine looking factory Remington walnut stock. The Remington stock is for sale. I hope to use this rifle for long range deer and antelope. But we have few antelope in Eastern PA. Bill, Easton, PA

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.