7 mag vs 300 wsm

I think it depends on use. No offense, but if one round was far superior to another, the less superior round wouldnt be manufactured anymore.

They both are accurate, both are flat shooters, both deliver excellent down range performance on game. The mag capacity is 3 on both rifles.

The 7MM uses bullets that have a little Higher BC. The 300WSM offers a hunting bullet selection above 175 grains. The 7 Mag does not.

The real distinction between the 2 cartridges are the rifle designs for each. The WSM is built on a short action, usually comes with a 23 or 24" bbl. and is a shorter, lighter rifle. It also headspaces off of the shoulder.

The 7MM Mag. is built on a magnum length action, usually has a 26" barrel, headspaces off of a belt above the head of the cartridge case. and is heavier and longer.

Both are great cartridges, both have excellent bullet selections to choose from.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
They both are accurate, both are flat shooters, both deliver excellent down range performance on game. The mag capacity is 3 on both rifles.

The 7MM uses bullets that have a little Higher BC. The 300WSM offers a hunting bullet selection above 175 grains. The 7 Mag does not.

The real distinction between the 2 cartridges are the rifle designs for each. The WSM is built on a short action, usually comes with a 23 or 24" bbl. and is a shorter, lighter rifle. It also headspaces off of the shoulder.

The 7MM Mag. is built on a magnum length action, usually has a 26" barrel, headspaces off of a belt above the head of the cartridge case. and is heavier and longer.

Both are great cartridges, both have excellent bullet selections to choose from.

Hope this helps.

+1

The best comparison is the 7 mm mag to the 7 WSM they are ballistic equals.

The 7 WSM would fit in a short action just like the 300 WSM and the same 7mm ballistics apply.

With the shorter round you effectively get a little longer barrel bore for the same size overall
length.

J E CUSTOM

I agree with all this is splitting hairs. But if I had to choose one rifle to hunt everything with, between the two it would be the 300 wsm. It can get tremendous velocity out of a shorter lighter barreld rifle. The 7mm rem mag needs barrel length adding weight. My 300 wsm has a 24 1/2" barrel and shoots a 150 grain nosler Etip with a .469 BC at 3419 fps and a 200 grain accubond at 2900 fps with a .588 or whatever BC. At short or long range I think this eclipses what a 7mm rem mag will do and it does it in a shorter, lighter rifle. Somebody look it up on your ballistics program and see what they look like side by side. It would be interesting. Will either one kill stuff? yes.

I've got both and both are great shooting rifles.As far as accuracy goes,I find both to be equal too.To me they are kinda like twins.What loads work good for my 7mag in 140-150gr bullets,are very close to,or the same in the 300WSM with 165gr bullets.The slight edge may go to the 300WSM because of the larger dia. and heavier bullet weights,guess it really depends on what you're using it for.For me it's a toss up,I like them both.

I also have both cartridges and they both have about the same effective range, the 300 WSM maybe a little farther... with RL17 it can launch a 180 bullet @ 3200 fps which is about 100-200 faster than a 7RM can launch a 160 gr bullet of about the same BC. I pick the 300 WSM 7RM for hunting, although both are very good. The 300 WSM makes a bigger hole and delivers a bigger payload down range.

-MR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.