• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED 7 mag - 180 gr Berger VLD

sendero72

I have 2 boxes (unopened) of 7mm 180gr Bergers. One "Target" and one "Hunting". Will swap the 2 boxes on 180's for 1 box of 7 mm 168 Hybrids. The 7 mag just won't push the 180's fast enough for me.

Thanks

Does berger make a 7mm 168 gr. hybrid? Just asking because I do not see them. They make a .308 168 gr. hybrid.

Would you be looking for a box of the hunting or target in 168 if they don't make a hybrid?

You're correct that the 168 hybrid is not listed on the Berger site. There is a thread here about reloading the the 168 and a link to Midway that has a photo of the 7mm 168 Hybrid. Can't understand why Berger doesn't have it listed. Think I'll call them tomorrow. I could not get the standard VLD 168 to shoot, so I thought I'd try the hybrid.

If there is as little difference between the 168 VLD and the 168 Hybrid as there is in the 180 VLD and the 180 Hybrid then I figure they are going to be about the same... Just my opinion, but I couldn't see a BIG difference in the 180's. I know it only takes a little difference to make a big difference sometimes but that was just my experience.

How fast are you able to push the 180's? What's your charge, the whole recipe. Barrel length and twist? (Just wondering) My 280 AI don't like the heavy bullets either... BK

BlackKnight755

I'm shooting a Hart 26", #6 contour, 9 twist. I have not shot the 180's, just looking at the MV's of other shooter on the this site. Our whitetails in the southeast about 80- 150 lbs, so I don't think the 7 mag can push the 180 fast enough to expand on deer that size at 1100 yds. More likely it will just pinhole thru the deer. As for the hybrids, they are supposed to be less sensitive to seating depth, thus easier to reload. I can push the 168 fast enough to do the job at long range. Currently shooting the 162 A-max and I have killed 2 deer this season. One at 630 and the other at 657 yds. I can get 6-7 inch groups at 1100 yds with the Amax. Just wanted to try something new.

Sorry guys, I made a mistake. Only have 1 box of the 180's and it's the Target VLD!