7.62x39 questions for pigs

I disagree with all AKs being inaccurate, both my Vepr and VZ58 are ZEROED at 430 yards.. and they will send pot bellies into some great aerial gymnastics, my Vepr is a bit more accurate than my VZ but it clearly does the job with cheap russian ammo..
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Your VZ58 isn't an AK design. The Czechs built a totally different battle rifle that still used 7.62x39 ammo. My CZ VZ58 is a great shooting rifle, I just prefer to use my CZ 550FS in .308. I also have a .338 Win Mag, but I wouldn't use it to hunt hogs when my .308 will do the job and is less punishing to shoot, not to mention the cost of shooting the .338. I don't roll my own so ammunition cost plays into my rifle selection as well.

I have a saiga 7.62 and im quite pleased with the build quality, I put a tapco stock and handle which makes it look a lot better as well . just use it for target though and I'm looking for a scope for it, maybe a nikon 3x9 or 4x12. I sawa saiga 308 and some reason the rifle is much bigger and heavier than the 7.62 ( the rifle stock ).went with the 7.62 because it was alot cheaper as well but if I was hunting with it the 308 looked pretty sweet...........

Check the bore size on the rifle! Some are .308 and others .310-312, if it has a 308 bore you can load up some 240gr ski's and have a ball.
Ar mags that work properly are had to come by. C-mags work pretty good. VS and Remington both do a bolt gun, River use to. I would go with a sks for what you are wanting to do. Had one for a truck gun in Texas.

The 7.62x39 on an AR platform (heavy barrel) is great for hunting hogs. I have a spread in Central Texas and the Ar-15 in 7.62x39 will get the job done and it's a lot of fun!

Aks work **** good, and Saigas are even better. Don't let the "30-30 is the same" guys bug you. There is more oomph in a x39.They have striking similarities, not definite twin ballistics. The 7.62x39 is superior in all aspects other than ammunition choice. I'd venture it a 200 yd medium sized game killer. Just my .02

I have been shooting 7.62x39 out of two ARs for years and if you stick with 10 round mags they work great. I have 30 rnd mags but they are crap except in full auto. Accuracy is good to 300 and I have dropped every deer and pig and yote I have shot. I also have an AK but I don't use optics and it is easy to drop pigs at 200.

Don't discount the Ruger Mini 30. Great gun at a good price.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.