7.62 x 51 ammo question?

Jed Cooper

If in the wrong forum I apologize. Should I have any problems shooting and/or extraction with factory 7.62x51 Nato ammo in my 308 BLR, or Ruger bolt 308? Thanks in advance.

If in the wrong forum I apologize. Should I have any problems shooting and/or extraction with factory 7.62x51 Nato ammo in my 308 BLR, or Ruger bolt 308? Thanks in advance.
7.62x51 nato ammo runs at much lower pressure than factory 308. So if the barrel is stamped 308, then you will be fine.

Who you gonna believe ? There have been numerous articles written over the years that are wrong-- the 7.62x51 is rated in cup -NOT psi. They don't directly convert either so there is lots of confusion but 50000cup is about 60000psi (but as I said its not a direct conversion)
Here is my "internet article proof"

The real way to see would be to compare the saami spec of 308win vs the NATO milspec of 7.62x51 ammo . Instead or reading "internet truth"

Last edited:
Do you know why the commie left is winning? Because they are united in their agenda/evil.
Do you know why the patriotic right is losing? Because every time one of us speaks, seven of you jump all over us trying to pick apart everything we say, prove us wrong, and criticize.

You know what? YOU ARE RITE!!! You are so effing smart I admire you. Thank you for sharing your infinite knowledge with one of the underlings. Thank you so much.

Do you know why the commie left is winning? Because they are united in their agenda/evil.
Do you know why the patriotic right is losing? Because every time one of us speaks, seven of you jump all over us trying to pick apart everything we say, prove us wrong, and criticize.

You know what? YOU ARE RITE!!! You are so effing smart I admire you. Thank you for sharing your infinite knowledge with one of the underlings. Thank you so much.
No need to get bent out of shape or to spread mis-information to a guy that's asking for answers. We are never to old to learn.

I shot both today and my BLR defiantly liked the PMC 308 as opposed to the Win 7.62 M80. The 7.62 had bubbled looking primers(slightly domed shape) as if a headspace issue and printed 3" higher at 50 yards than the 308. Extraction was normal with both loads. The 308 PMC primers looked very normal.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts