7-08 rem + 162 gr A-max =Any good for Hunting?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by D-mon, Nov 17, 2004.

1. D-mon

D-mon Member

Hi,
    As any body tried that combination? What do you thing of the A-max, deviated from its purpose and used for hunting? Specialy at 7-08 velocities? On (big)deers and wild boars?
    Thank you for your answers.
    ND

2. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

I have not used the 7-08 specifecly but have used the 308 extensivly which happens to be the same case. The amax is a match bullet with good medium game charecteristics. Even Hornaday recomends them for deer sized critters. They are VERY accurate bullets and very lethal.

I have used the 178 AMAX in the 308 and I know of many who use the 162 AMAX in their 7mm's with outstanding results. Give em a try and dont be afraid to try them on deer or the like.

3. Mysticplayer

Mysticplayer Writers Guild

Use the heavy 162gr at 2700fps and keep a sharp knife handy.

The bullet is quite tough but not your Texas heart shot, bone breaking bullet. Broadside through the ribs and they will fall.

If that is still a concern, I would suggest you use the 154 or 162gr SST. This will most definitely work and even go through shoulders. Equally accurate.

Jerry