7-08 140grs Accubond - good sheep bullet inside 450-500m?

I drew a Montana mt. goat tag this year and I think I will use my 7-08 with 120gr. barnes TTSX -48 gr. of 223 CFE .025 off the lands I shot a .187 3 shot group at 100 yds . should be around 3100 fps out of my 24 " barrel. I would think I would be good to go out to 400 yds. Have not killed any thing with this bullet but with the ballistic type tip I would think they would expand good.

I own 2 7-08's
Cooper 54 that shoots Hornady Superformance 139 gr SST's at 2930fps from a 24" barrel. Groups better with the SST and nothing wrong with the SST but for Elk I would go with the 140 gr accubond. SST groups are 1/4moa vs .2/3 moa with the accubonds. Just being an accuracy snob.

Merkel K3 single shot. 1/2 moa with the accubonds and clocked right at 2825 fps. Stays above 1800 fps past 600 yards and i don't shoot this gun much past 450. Witetail Doe at 80 yards quartering to me. broke shoulder, hip and exited. no complaints about penetration or expansion.

Love my 7-08's. will try some Amax and or bergers in the cooper
snt

Snt thanks for the post,and congrats on your two fine rifles . Please post back with any new testing good info is always interesting regards to all jjmp

It doesn't take an enormous amount of power to take a ram. Being able to keep 500 yard - 5 shot groups at the size of a gallon milk jug in my opinion is more important. If you can practice at angles up to 40deg. is also worth your time as I found out this year. I admitadly do not use a 7mm-08 because I;ll be hunting for moose, caribou, and bears at the same time, That said I have seen the abilities of 7mm08 on every animal here an Alaska except Grizzly bears. Shot placement! All the best.

I would use the Hornady 162 grain A-Max bullet in your 7mm-08. Works extremely well on sheep and deer in my 7x57 out to 600 yards.

Boy,.. I'm thinking this is looking just right for a .284 Win or 7 RSAUM with something in a 160gr to 168gr weight bullet.

Cheer's

Last edited:
Chandalar,if at all posable could you tells us more 708 abilities on alaskan game? thanks for chiming in,an CONGRAT'S on your Dall Ram!!!.

Blwebster,what speed where you pushing them 160 a-max's out of your 7x57 sounds like you have some tales 2 tell also,thanks for posting.

436 nicely said that 284 is one great round indeed you own one? and as for the 7 rsaum whats not to like pushing them pretty 7mm bullets.

info is key! talking sources make it so much more interesting lightbulb

regards jjmp

Boy,.. I'm thinking this is looking just right for a .284 Win or 7 RSAUM with something in a 160gr to 168gr weight bullet.

Cheer's

My .308 with 168 grain Hornady A-Max bullets do extremely well on big mule deer within the range you mention and beyond as well.

Chandalar,if at all posable could you tells us more 708 abilities on alaskan game? thanks for chiming in,an CONGRAT'S on your Dall Ram!!!.

Blwebster,what speed where you pushing them 160 a-max's out of your 7x57 sounds like you have some tales 2 tell also,thanks for posting.

436 nicely said that 284 is one great round indeed you own one? and as for the 7 rsaum whats not to like pushing them pretty 7mm bullets.

info is key! talking sources make it so much more interesting lightbulb

regards jjmp

No unfortunately I gave the only .284 Win I ever had up years ago, never the less it's a great cartridge. As for the 7 RSAUM I was shooting open LR matches with a.300 RSAUM and a buddy shooting with me was using a 7 RSAUM, it was quite impressive to say the least. I also ran a 7x57 for hunting deer... In the 70's. If a shooter has never used one in the field they'll never know how much they've missed, a marvelous cartridge.
Cheer's

My .308 with 168 grain Hornady A-Max bullets do extremely well on big mule deer within the range you mention and beyond as well.

I couldn't agree more, the .308 Win with a good 168gr or my choice the 175gr is legendary. With that said, a 7mm in the .284 Win cartridge range, even the 7-08 Rem using a 168gr projectile is giving up nothing and making the .30 cal fight for every inch, in the end it will come down to BC and velocity at long range for killing power, take a second look at the 7mm, don't misunderstand'...., I'm a big fan of the .308 Win I used one on the LR many times in matches, as well as on duty as a shooter for 18 plus years, you'll never hear me bad mouth the cartridge.

Just my thoughts
Cheer's

Blwebster, you know your cheating by even mentioning 30 cal let alone the great 308 win,psst this is a 7mm party.yes i know their boringly accurate got one myself thanks ah back to subject.:D

436, thanks for comming bac jack!!! found two cases .284 wcf in my range pick up brass from years ago interesting to say the least keep them just to look at and ponder the what if's very well thought out for sure, same for the 7x57 but older school, heck Jack O'Connor's Wife Eleanor shot many trophy animals with her 7x57 mauser. i think thats whats kept the 7mm alive, their never willing to take a back -seat to the 30 cals and thats a good thing all round, how does the saying go? competition breeds better mouse traps but in this case CARTRIDGES.

Cheers bac and Regards jjmp

Blwebster, now look what you done to 436 i had him in my pocket and now good Lord hes quoteing you and dem 30 cal Party Busters, good gosh whats dis here farm forum comming too anyways.

can see the powder burns on the walls its gonna be tough to sleep tonite!!!!!

LOL just kidding just funning Betcha my 708 shoots flatter then yourn 3000 what ya calls it!!!!gun)gun)gun):D:D:D

CHEERS ANDS I' MEANS IT ....LOL jjmp:cool:

Blwebster, you know your cheating by even mentioning 30 cal let alone the great 308 win,psst this is a 7mm party.yes i know their boringly accurate got one myself thanks ah back to subject.:D

436, thanks for comming bac jack!!! found two cases .284 wcf in my range pick up brass from years ago interesting to say the least keep them just to look at and ponder the what if's very well thought out for sure, same for the 7x57 but older school, heck Jack O'Connor's Wife Eleanor shot many trophy animals with her 7x57 mauser. i think thats whats kept the 7mm alive, their never willing to take a back -seat to the 30 cals and thats a good thing all round, how does the saying go? competition breeds better mouse traps but in this case CARTRIDGES.

Cheers bac and Regards jjmp

Only recently shooting those two again. For twenty odd years however, for moose and elk, i used the 7mm Rem Mag. Still do so for the odd hunt. It is a Husqvarna deluxe, glassed and shoots well. Loves any missile put into it.

Began using the 7x57 shooting wolves up here in northern British Columbia and never had any issue with range or accuracy. Both boys cut their teeth on it. I recently trued the action (Rem model 700) and put an HS Precision stock on it, steel epoxy bedded it and back to being a tack driver. The .308 was recently bought to replace an ancient one that got foolishly sold. It is the Rem 700p LTR. Shoots better than i can hold it these days.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.