6x45 build

snox801

Alright I'm starting a new build and would like some input. I'm taking my howa 1500 and making it a 6x45, or 223 brass neck sized to 6mm. I'm going to use it for hitting steel and whitetail. Anyone have any thoughts on the axiom stock. It is cheap and looks like it will work. I'm leaning toward that stock because of the adjustable pull. It will only have a 16 inch barrel so I think being able to shorten up the gun would be a plus in certain situations. Any feedback on these stocks.

I think you may lose some velocity necking up the 223 but if youre cool with that go for it. Ive had some time with the axiom stock and the only things i didnt like is the scope and trigger move toward you with every shot because the recoil absorbing design and the thin extended forearm flexes a lot with a bi pod that makes it a bit hard to get really stable. The two piece design doesn't help this. Other than that they are comfortable, light and absorb a good bit of recoil.

Hope this helps, happy hunting

You will like the 6x45 round,excellent choice for varmints and banging steel.I built one on a Savage model 10 action with a McGowan barrel with a 1-8 twist.Works wonders on prairie dogs to 600 yards with 70 grain Sierra hp.Low recoil,low cost to reload,plentiful brass.I haven't shot any larger than a coyote but wouldn't hesitate to use it on deer.

Where do you plan on shooting whitetails? Size can vary so much on location. Me I would go with the 6.5 grendal. You can get same speeds out of a 6.5 123 grain pill as you can a 100 grain 6mm bullet. Recoil is very light as well. It is a proven round on whitetails across the country.

It will be Michigan whitetail, and I will have to be mindful of range. I have many better guns for long range this will be for under 200 yards. Plus a 6mm 95 grain bullet will still be moving around 2600 fps. This gun is just a fun little project. And i really like the free brass part as I have about 3000 pieces I can use and counting. Thanks for the feed back.

I had an AR upper built in 6x45 for me, with a shilen barrel last spring. That thing is deadly accurate, it was very easy to work up a load for it, second recipe I tried I was getting .25 inch groups at a 100 yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.