6mmAI

STW

I have been visiting this site for a few months and i need some advise.I am planing on having a gun built for hunting out to 800yards,i have a chance to buy a 6mm Shilen 1/8 twist barrel 26" dirt cheep,and i was wondering if 6AI would be a good choice? i plan on hunting deer ,antelope, coyotes and p-dogs.

My 6AI 700 was doing well under MOA at 800 yds. with the 87 gr. Horn BTHP. (couldn't get the 87 V-Max to shoot out of that barrel). If I rebarrel though i'm going to do it in 6-284, since the case is a little shorter ( better magazine feed). The VLD's should be well-suited to that case though with its longer neck. Whatever you decide though let us know of your results please.

[ 09-30-2003: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

STW I have a custom built 6mm AI built on a 700 rem action that was trued and lapped, 29" Hart SS Fluted Barrel w/brake and 1-8 twist. Mcmillan stock, 2oz Jewel trigger and 12-42x56 nightforce scope. It likes the long 107 Sierra MK and the 105 Hornady AMAX st 3150 FPS shoots in the .3 all day! Great at long range makes GHogs fly thru the air at 300yds.
smile.gif

Guess I'm a little odd, I use my .244 Ackley for punching paper up to 1K. For animals, coyotes and larger, I prefer some sorta magnum, like an ultra for shooting any distance.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Anybody know the difference in case capacity between the 6 x 284 and the new 243 WSSM?

Any thoughts on how accuracy will compare?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.