6mmAI loads?

MSU Marksman

I'm looking for some loads to try in my 6mmAI with bullets between 95-105 grs. So far I have tested the 95 nosler with RL-19, but it did not group well at all. I was wondering if any has any other loads in that bullet weight to try? Should I be looking at a slower powder than the RL-19? Thanks.

Not much luck either.

I see you are not having much better luck getting help with 6mmAI loads than I am getting any help with 22-250AI loads. But then doing the work and finding that special load is half the fun. It would however be nice if we could learn from others mistakes and not always our own. Even if our own mistakes are much better teachers. Anyway good luck, it looks like we both may need it.

I can't help with the 22-250AI but the 6mmAI I can give a little info on.
I like to use Retumbo and 100g Nosler bullets. Retumbo is a little slow for this weight bullet but it's been very accurate in my rifle and kills quickly. Unfortunately I can't get to my data right now. However, I can tell you that you can start with any 6mm Rem load and work up from there.
I don't know what size bullet you want to shoot but you can go to the Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com website and get all the data you want for the 6mm.

Last edited:
MSU,
Using 100gr Speer Boat Tails I use 50g of IMR 7828 in Norma 7 x 57 brass sized and fireformed for my 6AI. It does a nice job. 95Gr Noslers do well with H4831 at anywhere from 50 to 51.5gr. Start low and work up. I use either Winchester WLR primers or CCI Magnum primers.
Depending on which primers you use or like the best choose one and work up. You ought to be able to shoot bug holes with either of these bullets.
If you really want to shoot small holes try 95gr Berger VLD's and RE22. I started at 49gr and worked up. When shooting heavy bullets in the 6 I have found slow powder to work the best. Take care though and watch your brass. Any sign of the bolt handle lifting hard and it's time to back off.
Mike J's web site is very informative and you can email him with questions. He has a wealth of knowledge about the 6AI and is a good man and will help you.
Let us know how your rifle does.

not quite, but close

in my 243 AI, (not the same, but close), I have found RE 22 (45 gr) and the 107 gr sierras to group really well.
Thought this might help??

I use RL 25 with 105 bergers and 107 smk 50 grs w/ fed gm215m primer for 3150. I have a buddy running 55grs w/ 107 at 3450.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts