6mm rem.

skeeter

I'am shooting remington factor load and getting very tight grups.100 grain @ 3100 FPS is what remington ballistic show.I pull the bullet off a case and the powder measured 45.5 grains..OK grains of what type of powder ? Does anyone know
THANKS SKEETER

Skeeter - Factories do not use powder that you would be able to buy. They buy in very large quantities and the powder is blended to produce the velocities and pressures they are working toward.

I assume you are interested in duplicating the factory load because it shoots so well. What you will need to do is first chronograph the factory load to see what the actual velocity is in your rifle. It may be quite a bit different than what is advertised. Then you would have to work up a load that duplicates that velocity. I would guess that a powder similar to H4350 or H4831 is what you would have to try, to start.

If you do not do a lot of handloading you might be better off just buying several boxes of factory loads for hunting and using handloads for plinking and other shooting.

[ 09-06-2004: Message edited by: Cheechako ]

[ 09-06-2004: Message edited by: Cheechako ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.