6mm project

You mention coyote and chucks will be killed with this gun. Well, in my mind, they are not at all the same rifle and the cartridges used are also kind of different. Typically, you use a low power, high field of view scope mounted low with no target turrets for coyotes. The rifle is generally lightweight with a short barrel and utilizes a magazine. A good chuck rifle (at least in my demented mind) should be wide, heavy, and a single shot action or at least loaded one at a time. It should have a high powered scope with target turrets preferrably and bulkiness won't be an issue. Also, triggers will or should be different because you might be using the coyote rifle with gloves and the chuck rifle should be light. I prefer 2 oz. triggers on varmint guns and 1lb to 2lbs on a coyote rig.

With cartridges, you can make just about anything work, but short, fat, little cases like the 6br don't feed well from mags so that is out for a coyote gun. But, the 22-250 and 223 are just plain too boring but they feed well from the mag.

That being said, the next 6mm barrel I chamber (aside from my 6ppc's and 6br's) will be a 6-250 improved. This case has about the most capacity I would ever want to shoot through a 6mm barrel and is infinetly better than either the 243 improved or the 6-284 for barrel life and bullet selection in a 3 groove. Or, the 6xc would be a nice little coyote gun too. Dies are available now and it feeds beautifully.

Barrel life must be considered for a chuck rifle if you plan to shoot lots of chucks. But it may not be as important in a coyote rifle. So for these reasons, there really isn't a dual purpose rifle that will be ideal for both. Just my opinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Coyboy ,
Presumably the Nosler manual refers to their 95 gn Ballistic Tip . The Berger VLD has a much shorter bearing service and appears capable of being pushed to considerably higher velocity with similar pressure . Most of my research and personal experience would suggest that best accuracy with this projectile comes at under 3150 FPS though .
With maximum loads (by my definition) I can get 3700 FPS with 70 grain Noslers and not far short of that with the (short bearing surface) 75 V Max .I was not questioning your 68gn load .
Interesting that you can get 3600 FPS with an 85 grainer . Both of the 80 grain projectiles that I have tried top out at a little over 3400 and the 87 V Max at around 3350 in my rifle .

Bushchook, As you know every rifle is a little different. Primer, brass, seating depth all affect pressure.

My 85 grain load is with speer and seirra bullets with H4350. All I can say is it just works well in my rifle. Great speed, great accuracy and acceptable pressure, I wish I could get this kind of load satisfaction with all my rigs.

[ QUOTE ]
You mention coyote and chucks will be killed with this gun. Well, in my mind, they are not at all the same rifle and the cartridges used are also kind of different. Typically, you use a low power, high field of view scope mounted low with no target turrets for coyotes. The rifle is generally lightweight with a short barrel and utilizes a magazine. A good chuck rifle (at least in my demented mind) should be wide, heavy, and a single shot action or at least loaded one at a time. It should have a high powered scope with target turrets preferrably and bulkiness won't be an issue. Also, triggers will or should be different because you might be using the coyote rifle with gloves and the chuck rifle should be light. I prefer 2 oz. triggers on varmint guns and 1lb to 2lbs on a coyote rig.

With cartridges, you can make just about anything work, but short, fat, little cases like the 6br don't feed well from mags so that is out for a coyote gun. But, the 22-250 and 223 are just plain too boring but they feed well from the mag.

That being said, the next 6mm barrel I chamber (aside from my 6ppc's and 6br's) will be a 6-250 improved. This case has about the most capacity I would ever want to shoot through a 6mm barrel and is infinetly better than either the 243 improved or the 6-284 for barrel life and bullet selection in a 3 groove. Or, the 6xc would be a nice little coyote gun too. Dies are available now and it feeds beautifully.

Barrel life must be considered for a chuck rifle if you plan to shoot lots of chucks. But it may not be as important in a coyote rifle. So for these reasons, there really isn't a dual purpose rifle that will be ideal for both. Just my opinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Goodgrouper,

I know that there are specific traits for the two different uses. I have a 22-250AI with a #5 barrel that is my primary coyote rig. Kirby is building me a 7mmAM #8 barrel now. This will be my long range hunting rifle. I have been looking at you 6br improved and the 6mm Dasher. I am thinking that a 95 gr berger at around 3100-3200 fps with a light dose of powder might just be the ticket. You mentioned that the 6br cases don't feed well from a magazine. Is there a way to fix this? I have considered getting a Stiller Predator action. I am not sure how they would feed from that. The truth be know, I probably would bery rarely use it as a repeater, but it would be nice to have. Anyway I can get the specs on your reamer?

I would tell you to just go with a straight 6br. With varget or Rel 15 you can get speeds around 2900fps with 1k plus accuracy. No fireforming required and still a **** nice little round. I am planning on using the 105 amax after seeing some of the 105 bergers fail to stop a pdog at 1100yds, i am sure he died quickly but he made it out of sight and from what I have seen the amax opens up just a little better.

I think this rig will work great for yote's also. My 22-250 was hell on them and I really think the added frontal area of the 6mm bullet will do a nice job despite the velocity loss. Now we just have to see if Cooper will live up to thier accuracy quotes.

take it easy
steve

[ QUOTE ]
I am thinking that a 95 gr berger at around 3100-3200 fps with a light dose of powder might just be the ticket.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can achieve this speed pretty easily with a 28" barrel and the improved version of the 6br. The standard 6br will not quite go this fast-especially with heavier bullets. ANd yes, it IS the ticket! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I have been invloved with 5 of these little gems so far and the sixth and seventh are on their way and ALL have been scary accurate and very forgiving.

[ QUOTE ]
You mentioned that the 6br cases don't feed well from a magazine. Is there a way to fix this?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can fabricate and reshape things but not for cheap or for less trouble. Money can make anything if there is enough of it and there are gunsmiths out there who claim to be able to do it if you really want it.

[ QUOTE ]
I have considered getting a Stiller Predator action. I am not sure how they would feed from that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it would feed very well in the Predator but Stiller is an amazing machinist and might have a solution if you've got the green. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My reamer is nothing more than a standard 6br with a 40 degree shoulder and a .271" neck. It has .011" case taper from head to shoulder. If you want one, contact Dave Manson at Manson reamers and he has the blueprints of my reamer and will send them out.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.