6mm deer/hog -how far w/what bullet + velocity?

6.5BR

My furthest deer kill was LRF right at 400 y using a 105 Amax/6BR at 2840 fps, double lunged and stumbled maybe 25 yds.

Wondering how far others have used the 6BR, as to know the minimum velocity that will work well, with good shot placement.

Last edited:
Cartridge used unimportant, just looking for info in subject line, thanks.

Our longest shot with a 6mm so far has been with a 95gr B-tip out of a 243win at 427yds. Impact was at the neck/shoulder junction, centering the spine. Bullet was recovered under the skin on the off side.

At 550 yards, I shot through bone on two adult hogs with a 115 Berger. Impact velocity was 2450fps. Front pig DRT, bullet continued into the rear pig and broke through the pelvis and exited it too.

Thanks

Good info, Charles was that factory or handloads?

Buffalobob, must be shooting that bullet awful fast, 6mm/284?

Thanks guys.

I asked as I chrono'd some ww 95 SBTip in a 20" gun, 2900 or so, maybe tad less, my 26" 6BR did 3000+, 95 btip......so very efficient-the BR case...thanks.

I have killed deer out to 1007 yards with 107 SMK from a 6-284 with them starting at 3300 fps. We get a lot of antlerless tags so I have shot probably 25-30 deer with this combo and it works well out to about 600 yards. After 600 yards or so it just pencils through so you need a good shot and a little luck or just don't shoot that far. These bullets shoot well in a kind of picky rifle and they stay together so I keep using them.

Hi Lance, thanks for the info, I'll likely hold 400 or so as max range for 105-107s, but based on the damage with the amax at that distance on my deer, I'd imagine it would work further out, but how much I don't know. I don't routinely shoot that far, usually under 200, but want to know what my limits are should the occasional long shot present. I do know there is one set up I have hunted/may hunt again-where shots Can be at 600-650, cannot remember how far it LRF, but I'd have to have a perfect hold/rest and know the exact drop to try a shot that far, and in that stand I am not sure I'd try it do to lack of getting a rock solid rest on that shot.

Thanks for the info. BTW, I'd guess in your rifle, on those 500+ yd shots, the amax being softer/plastic tipped, may offer you better expansion at lower speeds, but would not want to use them under 200-300 unless you realize they will vaporize and a neck spine or possibly a lung shot would be almost a necessity. Looks like what you have been using works well and I may try some SMK myself, thanks.

6.5BR,
When I first got my rifle I realized the SMK wasn't the ideal bullet so I shot some A-Max's and they shot fantastic. However, in very short order they started blowing up so I kept with the SMK instead of slowing the A-Max down. If I ever build another 6mm it will be something a little slower.

amax

Yes, have heard when they go Warp speed they may come apart in flight. Do fine at 2840 mv but 3300 perhaps one could set up a rifle w/a twist rate to match a 6BR/8 twist, then the RPM's could match, and I'd assume it'd hang. Thanks.

Past deer season I shot a 160 pound West Texas buck at 135 yards with A 243 and 95 grain federal fusion. Shot him where the neck and shoulder come together 1/3 of the way from the top, Bang Flop!! no exit hole .I have started handloading again and will either shoot the 105 A-Max or 95 Berger. this year. The fusion worked fine, but not handloadable. fEDERAL SAYS. 2980FPS B ut real world will probably be 2900 at muzzle in my 20 inch barrel.

Last edited:
Curious what 20"? Model 7? I had a Ruger RSI #1, also 20". Shot 95 Silver b tips at 2900 or a tad under.....when I chrono'd as I wanted to test some, handloaded as I do for most all else.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.