6mm bullets

257speed

Building a 243 WSSM, with a 1/8 twist, plan to shoot the 100gn plus bullets. Does anyone have any experience with these on game. Plan on using this gun for coues whitetail, which are very small deer. Thanks

I think I'd give my vote the Amax as well. It will expand more reliably than the Berger. Although I am shooting the Berger now and have no intention of changing.

dont want to get Reed and Bill ticked at me but I disagree on the 105 A-Max it is a varmint bullet at best. out of my 6-284 if they dont blow-up coming out of the muzzle they will blow-up even touching a blade of grass down range, the only VLD type of bullet that will handle wssm velocities is the Sierra 107gr MK plus they have a higher B.C.
UB

[ QUOTE ]
the 105 A-Max it is a varmint bullet at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Coues deer ain't much bigger than a varmint!! I didn't look @ the caliber you were using. UncleB may be onto something w/the Sierra being the only bullet that will hold together. Never know till you try!!

I agree the SMK will be better for any kind of bone hit. The AMAX is a hell of a bullet, it does blow up easy but for a long shot it will still expand a little as I have seen. I am planning on shooting this in my Cooper 6br this fall, i will lose a little to the berger but i will gain some expansion. the slightly heavier SMK will favor your twist, but if you go after real long range varmints like pdogs I would switch to the amax and load it around 3100 fps, shouldnt blow up then

steve

The first bullet I'd be for trying would be the 95 NBT, if it shot then I would call it load developement done.

When hunting and guiding in Sonora I used the 70 and the 95 NBT out of my 6/06 and it worked like a charm on those lil whitetails.

Number next would be the 107 MK.

I also have some of the old 100 NSB's that may just work great as well.

Mark D

257, i've got a 6wssm, only has a 22" 9T Kostyhsyn(i can never spell that right)barrel. the 105 A-max is a great deer killer.for those small couses deer, especially if you're reaching out a bit,i don't think you could beat it.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.