6mm br build

D Scott

I am getting ready to do a re barrel on my remm 700 22-250, into a 6mm br, the gunsmith said if I had the die and some sized brass he would build the chamber of the gun to fit tightly to the sized brass.
Any thoughts on the type of die, I have been using Forster 2 die setup for my remm 260, full length sizer, plus seater die. Ihave not used the bushing die set up yet, which would be a better choice for sizing brass in hopefully a tight chamber , only needing to neck size after firing.
The ammo will only be going into the one gun, so not worried about having ammo fit iinto other weapons.
Iam considering forster ultra two die set, and the redding comp seater/sizing dies, any thoughts on which would be better, expander ball or bushing type dies ?

thanks in advance Scott

Redding bushing die are top notch. I run them for my improved br. For a .270 neck I run a .265 bushing and it works well with the blue/new box lapua brass(non cardboard boxes).

All I do is clean my necks up to 12.5thous by using a expander mandrel and turning them.

Brent

I use Wilson SS neck sizer and seater (comes with micrometer top) for both my 6mm BR and 22 BR. I really like the micrometer on the seater for messing with seating depths.

Kevin

Does the wilson have bushings or use an expander ball ? thannks

Wilson inline dies do not use anykind of a sizer stem. All work is done via bushings. You'll also need an arbor press to use them as well as a good bump die. I think they work best after a neck clean up, but other will be different I'm sure.

No matter what you do with the Wilson die, eventually you'll need to run the case thru a full length die again (about every eight to ten firings. I use the bump die about every four to five firings. I use nothing much but Redding bump dies, but with a couple exceptions. The full length die is use to resize the whole case body when they start to get a little too snug in the chamber.

gary

I have never heard of a gunsmith making the chamber fit the die, it is normally the other way around. Ask the gunsmith what reamer he has and order the correct die for it. I would go with a tight neck chamber and then cut my brass to fit. Then send a fire formed brass to Harrel's in VA. to give you the right die. Myself I would only go w/ a FL bushing die. and only size as needed to close the bolt w/ a slight feel to the case without the firing pin in the bolt. This will save a lot of time and cost. Then use the Wilson Micrometer seater for loading the bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.