6mm Berger hunting VLD on coyotes

Iron Worker

Which VLD for coyotes ? Sierra 107 MK, Berger 105 VLD hunting Hybrid, or their 108 BT ? Hornady 105 A-Max ? Shooting them out of a 6x284 30"bbl with 8" twist. Just been told my 8"
twist is to fast 87gr V-Max for precision accuracy.

I have shot all of the above, any will do the trick. I am having a 6-284 built on an 8 twist benchmark barrel as we speak. The Berger bullets wont handle the speed I was told.

I absolutely love my 6-284, 28" 8twist Krieger. It has never seen a bullet other than the 107SMK. With the velocity potential of your 30" tube, you are going to see some of the 105 Bergers come apart as they really can't (from what several people state) take anything over ~3200-ish. You could shoot the 115VLD w/o issue as 32000ish is where you will end up with those. The problem being, the BC of the 115 is just BARELY higher than the 105 so what's the point? The new 6mm hybrid from berger boasts a better BC than both which is worth a hard look as does the 115 DTAC, if you can find them.

As I stated, I shoot the SMK which as I can ALWAYS find it for sale & in stock & it shoots WAY better than I can. It isn't nearly as fussy to load either as it has a different ogive profile than the VLD's.

You are shooting one of the fastest 6mm's on the planet, I really wouldn't be playing around with bullets under 100grains.

Then we can start the discussion on the internal ballistics of each & how they will react to hitting your intended quarry (coyote):rolleyes:

gun)

I absolutely love my 6-284, 28" 8twist Krieger. It has never seen a bullet other than the 107SMK. With the velocity potential of your 30" tube, you are going to see some of the 105 Bergers come apart as they really can't (from what several people state) take anything over ~3200-ish. You could shoot the 115VLD w/o issue as 32000ish is where you will end up with those. The problem being, the BC of the 115 is just BARELY higher than the 105 so what's the point? The new 6mm hybrid from berger boasts a better BC than both which is worth a hard look as does the 115 DTAC, if you can find them.

As I stated, I shoot the SMK which as I can ALWAYS find it for sale & in stock & it shoots WAY better than I can. It isn't nearly as fussy to load either as it has a different ogive profile than the VLD's.

You are shooting one of the fastest 6mm's on the planet, I really wouldn't be playing around with bullets under 100grains.

Then we can start the discussion on the internal ballistics of each & how they will react to hitting your intended quarry (coyote):rolleyes:

gun)

Hey great!I've been shooting the Sierra 107 and it is awesome. 51grs of Re#22 in the summer produces 3360 fps. I had some one else suggest I go to Re#25 What powder are you burning ?

At the behest of several of our LRH bretheren, I am using Ramshot Magnum which falls in the burn rate category right between H-1000 & Retumbo. EXTREMELY consistent performance & has proved to me that it is quite temp tolerant.

Very, Very good powder or the 6-284 & 107SMK.

At the behest of several of our LRH bretheren, I am using Ramshot Magnum which falls in the burn rate category right between H-1000 & Retumbo. EXTREMELY consistent performance & has proved to me that it is quite temp tolerant.

Very, Very good powder or the 6-284 & 107SMK.[/QUOTEMaybe my source wasn't to reliable But I heard that stuff was a bbl burner ? What is your load and velocities ?

I can tell you this, everything I've researched & was told leads me to believe that ball powder burns cooler than extruded. That should be easier on you throat wouldn't it?:rolleyes: If that proves to be true of course...

I'm no subject matter expert of course. After all, the 6-284 is a mythical fire-breathing barrel eating monster whose appetite knows no bounds. & whose soul purpose is to enforce the theory of diminishing returns & skepticism :D

Sorry, Sorry... that is my attempt at humor.

As far as loads for Ramshot Magnum goes, I'm running a long action & SMK's are seated at 3.100". With a Fed210M: start at 54.5grns (~3150fps & low pressure) & work up from there. If I recall correctly, the muzzle velocity I used in my ballistic app to meet my 1100yd dope is right at 3400 or just over.

I can tell you this, everything I've researched & was told leads me to believe that ball powder burns cooler than extruded. That should be easier on you throat wouldn't it?:rolleyes: If that proves to be true of course...

I'm no subject matter expert of course. After all, the 6-284 is a mythical fire-breathing barrel eating monster whose appetite knows no bounds. & whose soul purpose is to enforce the theory of diminishing returns & skepticism :D

Sorry, Sorry... that is my attempt at humor.

As far as loads for Ramshot Magnum goes, I'm running a long action & SMK's are seated at 3.100". With a Fed210M: start at 54.5grns (~3150fps & low pressure) & work up from there. If I recall correctly, the muzzle velocity I used in my ballistic app to meet my 1100yd dope is right at 3400 or just over.

I was shooting ramshot magnum in the 6x284 I toasted in 600 rounds This is a quote from a shooter on 24 hour campfire

I was shooting ramshot magnum in the 6x284 I toasted in 600 rounds This is a quote from a shooter on 24 hour campfire

Give me a free 6mm barrel & I will make you any wager you choose that I can torch is in less than 500 with any other (suitable) powder of your choosing.

When using an overbore of any caliber, it's not the powder selection, it's how you, as the shooter, treat the barrel. Meaning: overbore cartridge + long strings of fire= toasted throat.

My statements aren't made to deride that gentlemans experience or knowledge. But to demonstrate that there may be underlying circumstances we are not aware of. For all I know he could have been shooting a CM barrel, which is well known to not be as strong as SS. Maybe it was used as an F-Class rig or varmint (prairie dogs) rig where long strings of fire were normal.

I am in no means saying Magnum is the end all-be all powder for that particular cartridge. There are many different powders that should work as well, possibly better; I do however, find it somewhat difficult to believe that a powder with nearly Identical burn rate, can be any harder on the throat of a rifle compared to similar powders. Do I know this to be fact? Heck no!:D I am merely speaking from what I know & have seen elsewhere.

:rolleyes:Magnum is a double base powder if I recall correctly, maybe the difference lies therein? I can say, I haven't seen any adverse effects, but I cannot provide an accurate round count on my rig either...

Interesting conversation! Hopefully we can get some input from guys like Kevin Thomas & Kirby Allen....

gun)

Yes I agree with what your saying and maybe I'll go out and buy a can of Ramshot magnum. So you suggest I start out with 54.5 grs of magnum behind a 107 Sierra ? What velocity did you top out at ?

:) I can factually say this:

It's very accurate, it's very consistent & seems to behave in different temps.

As far as Barrel life.. ITS A 6-284!!!:D What barrel life? lol

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.